Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRX5308 as a VPN client?

hugoti
Aspirant

SRX5308 as a VPN client?

We have 2 offices, one head office here is using a third party firewall for it Internet connectivity via ADSL. The remote data center office is using the SRX5308 with it own WAN connection.

Currently we use Windows client VPN using PPTP to connect to the remote data center which has been in place and successful for some time. Obviously this has the limitation that it is only available to those Windows clients that has it. I would like to enable site to site VPN functionality and make this connection available to all users in the office. We have a spare SRX5308 which I thought I could use to set up as a VPN client to the remote SRX5308. I know that there are links regarding setup using IPSEC but it assumes both SRX5308s are WAN routers. I'm not sure if that will work in this setup?

I don't really want to change the configuration on the router at the remote data center since it is really a production site. Is it possible to configure the local SRX5308 to connect to the remote SRX5308 as a PPTP client? That way I can just setup a routing table to use the local SRX5308 as a gateway to the remote data center (both are using different IP subnets). This is purely to enable internal routing only from local clients here to the data center and allow us not to worry about using the Windows PPTP client. All other WAN and internet connectivity remains unchanged (i.e. both sites use local WAN for Internet).

Thanks.

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: SRX5308 as a VPN client?

Hi hugoti,

Welcome to our community!

SRX5308 serves as a PPTP server and not as a client. The good thing here is that if you do have a PPTP clients in the local lan of the SRX, it will just passthru to the firewall which most of the router does. I suggest that you may use the Box-to-box VPN connection. So that the local resources on both ends will be connected to each other even if they are on a different location.

Here is some reference for VPN box-to-box configuration.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@hugoti,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if everything works ok now or you still need further assistance. Just in case that the reply was the solution to your problem, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 4
hugoti
Aspirant

Since it doesn't server as a client I've decided to abandon this idea and instead go with a client solution on the Windows desktops instead given that only a very small number of people who will require this. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements