Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRXN3205 Fails Intermittently

grungegoth
Follower

SRXN3205 Fails Intermittently

I havea unit that fails intermittently. I have eliminated the ISP modem as a casue, my local DNS server, firmware, cables and wireless vs wired. I am left with: box is failing.

I had the box running for more than a year with little or no configuration changes, a static WAN ip address, no DHCP, no VPN tunnel/connections and a local Windows server for DHCP, DNS etc. Then, I started seeing periodic disconnects, maybe every hour, or sometimes intervals of several hours, or several episode of multiple hours without connectivity for no apparent reason.
The interruption occors on PCs that are wireless as well, so that eliminates cables, and an 8 port switch I use as well.

So here is a summary of debugging:

1) ISP Modem: I had a fixed IP address with 4 WAN passthroughs. I set up a PC on the ISP Modem, and the SRXN3205 on another port, all configured properly with WAN addresses. The PC on WAN never lost connectivity, but the PC or server on the SRXN would lose connectivity. The occurred no matter which port or WAN address was assigned to the router.

1a) I got my ISP to replace the modem (a lot of whining there) and still, the same result.

2) ISP Modem: I set the ISP to use a single WAN address with a LAN subnet, and put the SRXN on one port with a local IP address, and another PC with a different local IP address. Same story: SRXN3205 losses connectivity

3) SRXN Firmare 3.0.8-12: I backed up the settings, installed the latest firmware. Did a hard reset, restored the settings from backup. Same behavior.

4) SRXN Firmware: I did a hard reset, and manually reconfigured the SRXN3250 from scratch, same behavior.

5) The WAN status pop up window oscilates between connected and disconnected at times. not sure if this is normal or not, but it might be a symptom of the problem.

I do have an 8 port NEtgear switch in the loop but I have also eliminated that since the connectivity problem affects wireless clients as well as wired.

I've run out of options that I can think of, so now I keep one PC plugged into the ISP at all times, and have my network go down every so often. I can watch it, and I know when it is happening, instead of wondering if my DNS server is having a problem. This problem caused so much connectivity issues, that I have lost server AD installations due to poor replications.

I run a small hobby LAN/doman, I have two house on different continents and run a WAN link over VPN between two routers in different houses using windows RRAS. As such, I've been around the block a few time, so I hope most of the stupid errors I have avoided, but you never know when a clever contributor can help out.

I replace the SRXN3205 at the other end point last summer for similar problems, so now I have maybe two problem boxes I'll have to get warranty to replace.
Message 1 of 2
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: SRXN3205 Fails Intermittently

You may have bad unit after all.
http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=424134&postcount=15

actual thread above is
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=70769

I can't say what is the cause but possible hardware issue that other user found etc.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements