Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow network performance when connecting to RAS

tnooc
Aspirant

Slow network performance when connecting to RAS

I replaced an older 318 with a FBS318v2 and the internal network is working great, and a problem I had with dropped internet appears to be solved.  I have a remote access server (RAS) set up on the internal network and have setup a firewall rule to forward pptp traffic to that server.  It works, and we can connect, but the network slows from a ping time of around 32ms to an exteral address to around 3000ms.  The internal times from server to server goes from 1ms to around 2500ms.  If we disconnect from the RAS, the times return to normal.   We did update to the latest firmware

Model: FVS318v2|Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall with 8-port switch|EOL
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tnooc,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. If you try to disable the firewall rule, does same problem occur?

b. When you have updated the firmware of the FVS318Gv2 to the latest version, did you perform a factory reset after the firmware upgrade? 

c. Is the RAS directly connected to the FVS318Gv2?  Kindly post a diagram of your detailed network setup. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tnooc,

I just want to follow-up on this.   We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
tnooc
Aspirant

Sorry for the slow response.  To anwser your questions:

1.  If you disable the firewall rule there is no affect on network traffic, and of course the connection to RAS doesn't happen.  

2.  We did not reset the router after installing the updated firmware.

3.  I don't have any software to diagram the network, but there is a switch between the Netgear Router and the RAS Server.  We have tried plugging the RAS directly into the router (the router is the gateway for the network) and it does not improve the performance.  The only hardware change in the network is the change from and FVS318v3 to the FVS318Gv2.

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tnooc,

Kindly try to perform a factory reset on the FSV318Gv2 then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start fresh with the latest firmware version.  Observe if same problem occurs.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tnooc,

I just want to follow-up on this.   Were you able to perform a factory reset on the FSV318Gv2 then reconfigure it from scratch?  If yes, what are your observations? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
tnooc
Aspirant

I'm sorry but we haven't had a window where we can shut down the network to do this yet.  Hopefully this coming Friday.

Message 7 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tnooc,

I just want to follow-up on this again.   Were you able to perform a factory reset on the FSV318Gv2 then reconfigure it from scratch?  If yes, what are your observations? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements