Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow wired internet speed

johnjvictor
Aspirant

Slow wired internet speed

I have been using this FVS336Gv3 dual wan firewall using a 6gbps symetrical connection on Wan1, and a 50mbps/10mbps Comcast connection on Wan2 for about a year. The speedtests that I ran have always been consistent with these speeds. The other day I increased our Comcast connection to 150mbps/20mbps and download speeds are consistently around 55mbps-60mbps for downloads. If I connect directly to the Comcast modem I get the faster download speed of over 150mbps. The upload speed is consistently about 19-24mbps regardless of the connection.

I saw another post that talks about ipv6 having hardware limitations but we are using ipv4 exclusively. I set the speeds to specific values in the WAN advanced setup to reflect our current speeds for both WAN links. We are using the Load Balancing WAN mode. It is running firmware version 4.3.3.5.

The documentation says the lan-to-wan speed is 350mbps but I'm not seeing anything like that. Any ideas?

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
johnjvictor
Aspirant

Re: Slow wired internet speed

I finally figured out why the Lan-Wan throughput was low. It turns out that there was a QoS profile defined from a year ago that I had inadvertently associated with one service. Once I removed it from that service the download speed immediately increased from 54Mbps to over 175Mbps. We have a 150Mbps Comcast Business service so we're consistently exceeding that!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
SamirD
Prodigy

I saw similar limits on all our fvs318Ns until I recently tried a new firmware.  Try that.  But it would also help to know some details about your configuration as well as if you're using traffic monitoring or not.  Otherwise, how do you like the fvs336?  I've considered picking one up when I've found one on sale.

Message 2 of 11
johnjvictor
Aspirant

Thanks! I tried to update the firmware last night and it kept failing! Looks like I may have a hardware problem and will need to pursue warranty replacement with Netgear. Other than this issue, I like the firewall; pretty much the same as the 318 except with 2 WAN ports.

Message 3 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello johnjvictor, 

I suggest performing a factory reset on the firewall as well(make sure you save a copy of the configuration file first). Once on factory default mode, test the connection and see if there will be any changes on the speed. 

Thanks,

Message 4 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@johnjvictor,

Just following-up on this.  Were you able to perform a factory reset then test the connection and observe if there are any changes on the speed? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
johnjvictor
Aspirant

I just purchased a second FVS336GV3 which allows me to do quite a bit of experimentation. I determined that with the default configuration I do get the full throughput of 150mbps/20mbps.Even with the latest firmware, I get only up to 60mbps/20mbps when I use my current configuration. The current config is basically (1) Load Balancing and directing certain IP addresses to one WAN connection or the other, (2) directing incoming ports to certain servers, and (3) one VPN tunnel to an FVS318GV3 at our remote site. I guess something in this configuration is limiting the speed. Anyone have thoughts about what that might be?

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
SamirD
Prodigy

Some great diagnosis work. 🙂

So if you only have three things that are different than stock, there's only three things to disable and then test.  I don't think the site-to-site vpn could be the issue as I've got those running too (although now that I think about it, I haven't tried setting up a tunnel on my test 318n).  I would try disabling the port forwards first and then the load balancing.  Once you have it working full speed, add stuff back until it breaks again and you'll have found the culprit. 🙂

Message 7 of 11
johnjvictor
Aspirant

I plan to try exactly what you are suggesting. However, without interrupting operations I will need to use the spare firewall. I believe that if I change both WAN ports to DHCP I can put the spare on the network. I think I will then be able to experiment.

Tune in again!

Thanks

Message 8 of 11
SamirD
Prodigy

You should be able to do that, although I'm not sure how the dual wan would work.  That's actually how I tested my 318N.  Be sure to change your subnet on the unit you're testing to something different than your normal lan to keep any routing issues from happening.

I plan to set up a vpn tunnel on my 318N so I'll report back here if I see any speed issues as that might help you in your diagnosis as well.

Message 9 of 11
johnjvictor
Aspirant

I finally figured out why the Lan-Wan throughput was low. It turns out that there was a QoS profile defined from a year ago that I had inadvertently associated with one service. Once I removed it from that service the download speed immediately increased from 54Mbps to over 175Mbps. We have a 150Mbps Comcast Business service so we're consistently exceeding that!

Message 10 of 11
SamirD
Prodigy

@johnjvictor wrote:

That's great!  I set up vpn tunnels and my speeds are great too.  Our connection is 150/25, but it regularly is about 180/25 and I've seen it spike to over 200 so you should be good for higher speeds too.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements