Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN Router for site to site - warehouse to main office

GaACETech
Tutor

VPN Router for site to site - warehouse to main office

Main Office - cable internet - 25 down / 10 up - 1 server - 3 workstations

Warehouse - cable internet - 20 down / 6 up - 1 workstation - 1 printer (LPT1)

Tried a Cisco VPN router solution with dismal results concerning latency.

Looking at Netgear router with VPN options.   Note this is a legacy system - so fat client workstation.

Speed example:  for 3 across labels printed on a dot matrix printer - it will print two rows of labels then take a 10-15 second pause

Note:  when we were using a phone company MiFi with a remote access program - speedy!

Suggestion for hardware that will give speed, speed, speed?  Risking to loose some security as this is most box labels being printed.

Question:  the RV320 dual wan port - is there a single WAN port for this model or is that the RV130w (which I have).

Specs:   single WAN port, 4 ports is fine

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
GaACETech
Tutor

It seems that the VPN routers and setup are fine.  Speaking with tech support for the business software used by this company, the only way to speed this up is with a Citrix or MS Remote Desktop solution.   The software database is a super fat client and never meant for a WAN (they suggested a T3 (D3?)).   And all this for one desktop and very important printer to run the warehouse effectively.

So we are getting remote desktop licenses for a server to use with this software.

However in the back of my mine this still doesn't sit well.   I think there is still something up with the VPN created by the Cisco routers or the cable provisioning.  However, on the other hand, we can copy files from shared folders from the main office to the warehouse computer with excellent speed.

I get to add two 400Gb SSD's to the server for this app.   That will be speed.

Thanks for all the advice and direction.   Excellent forum!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech,

As I have recalled, you have been looking to the FVS318N VPN Firewall as mentioned on the post here.  You may check on other NETGEAR VPN Firewalls on the data sheet here.  

Hope someone in the community would chime in about your concern about the RV320 or RV130w or  you may post on the Cisco forums.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GaACETech,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have questions.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
GaACETech
Tutor

It seems that the VPN routers and setup are fine.  Speaking with tech support for the business software used by this company, the only way to speed this up is with a Citrix or MS Remote Desktop solution.   The software database is a super fat client and never meant for a WAN (they suggested a T3 (D3?)).   And all this for one desktop and very important printer to run the warehouse effectively.

So we are getting remote desktop licenses for a server to use with this software.

However in the back of my mine this still doesn't sit well.   I think there is still something up with the VPN created by the Cisco routers or the cable provisioning.  However, on the other hand, we can copy files from shared folders from the main office to the warehouse computer with excellent speed.

I get to add two 400Gb SSD's to the server for this app.   That will be speed.

Thanks for all the advice and direction.   Excellent forum!

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GaACETech,

Thanks for the update! 🙂   Feel free to post you concerns here in the community.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
SamirD
Prodigy

If you have a site-to-site VPN, why don't you just have the printer over TCP/IP on the other side of the VPN with the workstation local?  If someone needs to access the workstation, they can simply remote desktop into the workstation from the printer side.  There's a lot of LPT to TCP/IP print servers out there too to make this happen.

And printing across a VPN for text based documents (like your labels) are so fast they seem to be local.  We have similar bandwidth and have 3 different printers at the end of 3 different tunnels and can print to any of them like they're local.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements