Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAN2 rollover not quite working, almost is

zakzakzak20
Aspirant

WAN2 rollover not quite working, almost is

Hi,

I have WAN2 setup as a rollover for WAN1, with the idea being if WAN1 goes down the backup connected to WAN2 kicks in. When WAN1 goes down, the rollover appears to work and the internet light on WAN2 turns green, the computers show an internet connection but cannot access the internet. When I connect directly to the hub (that is connected to WAN2) with an ethernet cable, my laptop connects to the internet and webpages etc. load as expected. Any ideas what is not working or what to try first?

Thank you

Z.

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WAN2 rollover not quite working, almost is

Hi @zakzakzak20,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

When I connect directly to the hub (that is connected to WAN2) with an ethernet cable, my laptop connects to the internet and webpages etc. load as expected. Any ideas what is not working or what to try first?

What is the brand and model of the hub connected to WAN2?  Is it a modem-only device or a modem-router combination? 

Kindly try to reboot the SRX5308 then check if you will have internet access through WAN2 port of the SRX5308.

What is the current firmware version of the SRX5308?

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 12
zakzakzak20
Aspirant

Hi @DaneA,

Thank you, in answer to your questions:

The hub connected to WAN2 is a Technicolor (TG588V V2). I think it is a modem-router combination but we only use it to connect to our Netgear router as a backup. 

I have tried rebooting and the same issue occured. 

The firmware version is: 4.3.1-22

I feel as though it is probably something quite obvious, the internet connection is there (i.e. green light on router, connection recognised on laptop) but it just won't actually give me a connection.

Thank you for your help.

Z

Message 3 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@zakzakzak20,

The hub connected to WAN2 is a Technicolor (TG588V V2). I think it is a modem-router combination but we only use it to connect to our Netgear router as a backup. 

I have tried rebooting and the same issue occured. 

The firmware version is: 4.3.1-22

Since the the Technicolor (TG588V V2) is a modem-router combination, then its possible that the Double NAT scenario might be the cause that is why you are not able to go online through WAN2 port after rollover.  Kindly read the article below about Double NAT:

What is Double NAT?

I suggest you to configure the Technicolor (TG588V V2) to full-bridge mode in order for it to be set as a modem-only device.  Then, check again if you will be able to go online through WAN2 port of the SRX5308 after rollover.

Also, I suggest you to update the firmware of the SRX5308 to the latest v4.3.5-3.  You can download firmware v4.3.5-3 here.  Be sure to perform a factory reset on the SRX5308 after upgrading the firmware the reconfigure the settings from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  Then, check if the same problem will occur. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 12
zakzakzak20
Aspirant

Thanks @DaneA, I followed your instructions below, switched the non-netgear router to bridge mode and then updated the firmware of the Netgear router. The non-netgear router was providing no internet access in bridge mode, I factory reset it and then briefly I had internet access on WAN2 from the non-netgear router, before it then went down a couple of minutes later. I haven't been able to get it back working again since but it is now showing an internet connection. The internet light on WAN2 is also green when WAN1 is not connected but is still not providing internet access. Any ideas? 

Thank you for all your help.

Z

Message 5 of 12
zakzakzak20
Aspirant

Thanks @DaneA, I followed your instructions below, switched the non-netgear router to bridge mode and then updated the firmware of the Netgear router. The non-netgear router was providing no internet access in bridge mode, I factory reset it and then briefly I had internet access on WAN2 from the non-netgear router, before it then went down a couple of minutes later. I haven't been able to get it back working again since but it is now showing an internet connection. The internet light on WAN2 is also green when WAN1 is not connected but is still not providing internet access. Any ideas? 

Thank you for all your help.

Z

Message 6 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@zakzakzak20,

Let us isolate the problem.  Here are the steps below:

1. If ever WAN1 port is the primary WAN port, I suggest you to swap it with WAN2 port.  Set WAN2 port as the primary WAN port then set WAN1 as the rollover WAN port.  Check if it will work.

2. Try other WAN ports such as WAN3 port and WAN4 port as the rollover port and see if it works. 

Note: In steps 1 & 2 above, make sure that the Technicolor (TG588V V2) is set to full-bridge mode while connected to the rollover WAN port. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 12
zakzakzak20
Aspirant

Thanks again @DaneA, however neither worked. I tried both suggestions in bridge mode and PPPOE, in bridge mode the router does not give any internet connection, when connected directly, via wireless or to the Netgear router (the internet light is orange on the router for that WAN, whichever WAN it is plugged in to). When the non-netgear router is in PPPOE mode it does provide internet both via wireless and when plugged in to it. TheWAN port on the router also goes green, but then does not provide an internet connection unless I am directly connected to it i.e. everyone else in the office whose connection goes through a switch connected to the Netgear router does not have internet access.

Have you got any more tricks up your sleeve? Thanks again.

Message 8 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@zakzakzak20

in bridge mode the router does not give any internet connection, when connected directly, via wireless or to the Netgear router (the internet light is orange on the router for that WAN, whichever WAN it is plugged in to).

While the modem-router is configured to bridge mode, it is normal that the wireless capability and routing capability will not function.  To check if you are able to go online while the modem is set to bridge mode, connect a PC directly to the modem and perform the steps on the link here.  In this way. you will know if bridge mode is working.  

When the non-netgear router is in PPPOE mode it does provide internet both via wireless and when plugged in to it. The WAN port on the router also goes green, but then does not provide an internet connection unless I am directly connected to it i.e. everyone else in the office whose connection goes through a switch connected to the Netgear router does not have internet access.

Since you mentioned that the WAN port on the goes green (I hope you are referring to the Internet LED), did you check if the Public WAN IP Address is registered to the WAN2 port of the SRX5308 after rollover?  To check, go to Monitoring > Router Status.  Scroll down to the WAN Information section check the WAN 2 IPv4 Address as well as the Status.  

Is the Internet Service Provider on the modem connected to WAN1 port and WAN2 port (rollover WAN port) the same?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 12
zakzakzak20
Aspirant

Thanks again @DaneA I can confirm that I can get online following the method in your link when the non-netgear router is in bridge mode. This wasn't working the other day but now is. 

Yes, I was referring to the internet LED. I will check in the morning when no one is in the office to see if the public IP address is registered to the WAN2 port of the SRX5308 after rollover. 

Yes, the internet service provider is the same for both ports. Could this be causing an issue?

Thanks

Z

Message 10 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@zakzakzak20,

Yes, the internet service provider is the same for both ports. Could this be causing an issue?

This should not be an issue for as long as you have two (2) subscriptions from your ISP wherein the 1st subscribed line is connected to the WAN1 port then the 2nd subscribed line is connected to the WAN2 port.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 12
zakzakzak20
Aspirant

Thanks @DaneA yes, we have two different lines from our ISP and both show different external IP addresses. 

To answer the earlier question re the public address of WAN2, when WAN1 is down, the status of WAN2 does not change it remains as down with no IP address. 

Bit of a nightmare, sorry for all of the questions, your help is much appreciated.

Z

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements