Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

With only 30 users, our SRX5308 seems to bog down and kick our Remote Desktop Users out

Sghoul
Aspirant

With only 30 users, our SRX5308 seems to bog down and kick our Remote Desktop Users out

We have about 30 users and 20 Mbps bandwidth.  At any given time ~6 of them are using RDP to an outside sever to access our database.  I use Ping Plotter as a simple way to see if there are issues with our connection to the outside world.  Most days things are fine.  When no one is here, Ping Plotter is flat.  Once staff come in, there are occasional red lines indicating a slight drop of service (far less than a second, and no one notices anything).

Once in a while however, someone/something on the network seems to bog down the firewall.  Thos red line become very frequent.  Most users still don't notice anything.  But those using RDP regularly get kicked out and have to reconnect.

On the one hand, I want to figure out what kinds of things are killing the firewall.  On the other, what kinds of settings can I enable to prioritize the RDP over any other traffic so they quit getting disconnected.

Thank You

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: With only 30 users, our SRX5308 seems to bog down and kick our Remote Desktop Users out

Hi Sghoul,

Welcome to our community!

As per checking that you are having intermittent connectivity to your RDP connections. May you be able to send us some logs so that we can further check what seems to be causing that issue?

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
Sghoul
Aspirant

Re: With only 30 users, our SRX5308 seems to bog down and kick our Remote Desktop Users out

I'm not sure how you usually post logs for this forum, but I am attempting at attach a txt file with yesterdays log.

Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Sghoul,

You may set a priority in QOS with the RDP service that you have. Please try the instructions below:

- Create the RDP port under Security > Services > Add Custom Service

- Please select Network Configuration > QoS 

- Enable QOS

- It depends on you on how the traffic will be prioritize. You may choose priority for your RDP.

- Select Add, Select the service that you created

- Then set the priority to HIGH

- Direction - Inbound Traffic

- You may just leave the diffserv qos match and remark as blank

- Assign the range of IP address that will be using the service and hit apply

Test if that will work on your case. You may refer to this manual in order for you to prioritize that protocol.(page 80)

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
Sghoul
Aspirant

Thank you very much!  That was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.  I've set it up and will let you know if it solves our issue!

Message 5 of 6
Sghoul
Aspirant

Sadly, that didn't seem to do it.  Either I set it up wrong, or there is another issue.  But i do think I have narrowed down what it causing the fuss:  Windows 10 Update.  Some quick searches show that W10U, unlike past itterations, tries to make a whole bunch of connections out in the world to download as fast as possible...like a torrent.  I'm wondering if all of these sudden connections are cauing the firewall to have a problem.  Although I thought I had session limits limited to 1% per IP.

I'll update whan I know more.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements