Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can't update firmware on FVS318Gv2

Megunticook
Aspirant

can't update firmware on FVS318Gv2

Been having some connectivity issues with my FVS318Gv2 so started troubleshooting by first upgrading firmware. I'm at version 4.3.3-8 and I downloaded version 4.3.5-3, tried installing through my admin. page but it keeps failing. I select the image file, click through the warning about not interrupting the upgrade process, it seems like it initiates the process but then I get a blank "Secure Connection Failed" page.

I can see that Firefox does not trust the SSL cert. I've tried using other browsers, manually installing the cert., using just http:// (it forces https://), all to no avail.

Any solutions? I've Googled nine ways to Sunday but nothing is working. Really need to get this issue fixed.

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Megunticook
Aspirant

NG finally sent an identical replacement unit (overnighted free of charge--much appreciated).

I connected my laptop to it, fire up a browser, and it updated the firmware to the latest version without a hiccup.

Have it in service now and so far so good.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 10 of 11

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Megunticook,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly try the steps below:

1. Download again firmware v4.3.5-3 and make sure that its file size is correct.  Firmware v4.3.5-3 has a file size of 24.4MB.  You can download it here.  

2. Clear the cache of the browser you are using.

3. Disconnect the FVS318Gv2 from your existing network.  Connect a PC directly to a LAN port of the FVS318Gv2.  Unzip firmware v4.3.5-3 that you have downloaded.  Then, proceed with the firmware upgrade. 

4. If the above steps did not help, perform a factory reset on your FVS318Gv2 then upgrade the firmware. 

Note: After upgrading the firmware, its best to perform a factory reset on the FVS318Gv2.  Then, reconfigure the settings from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Megunticook,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to perform the steps I suggested?  If yes, what is the result? 

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 11
Megunticook
Aspirant

Thanks for your follow-up. Just waiting for a good opportunity to do this, can't afford the downtime right now.

Also, if I try the upgrade and end up bricking my router, that would be very bad because it would effectively shut down my business.

Worst case scenario, if that happened, would Netgear overnight a new router to me under warranty? Mine is less than 2 years old.

Message 4 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Megunticook,

Thanks for your follow-up. Just waiting for a good opportunity to do this, can't afford the downtime right now.

I understand.  Let us know the result once you have perform the steps I suggested.

Also, if I try the upgrade and end up bricking my router, that would be very bad because it would effectively shut down my business.

Worst case scenario, if that happened, would Netgear overnight a new router to me under warranty? Mine is less than 2 years old.

If ever you are the original owner and you purchased the FVS318Gv2 after June 1, 2016 then you are entitled with Lifetime Hardware Warranty.  Kindly check the article below as reference:

Industry-Best Warranty Terms by NETGEAR

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
Megunticook
Aspirant

Dane--

I finally had an opportunity to take the router offline and perform the upgrade steps you suggested.

Unfortunately it didn't work.

Every time I tried it was the same result: after I select the new firmware file and click the "upgrade" button, I get the warning about not shutting off your router during the upgrade process, then the browser returns a page that reads:

Secure Connection Failed

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

The URL in the browser at that point reads: https://192.168.1.1/scgi-bin/platform.cgi

Doing a factory reset made absolutely no difference.

No matter what I've tried I cannot get this router to upgrade. Would Netgear please send a new one under warranty?

Message 6 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Megunticook,

Since it is still the same problem, let me share the procedure that was posted by a community member which resolved the problem (similar on this forum thread) on the forum thread here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 11
Megunticook
Aspirant

Thanks, yes I tried that method before several times and unfortunately it failed.

I think we're looking at a warranty replacement at this point. I've tried everything I can find on this forum and elsewhere, and the unit will not update its firmware. It sounds like I'm not alone in this experience.

Message 8 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Megunticook,

Thanks for the feedback.  I checked with NETGEAR Support and found out that you have already an ongoing support ticket.  Let the NETGEAR Support Team know about the troubleshooting steps done to isolate the problem.  If ever your FVS318Gv2 has been declared faulty, be ready to submit a .doc or .pdf copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the FVS318Gv2 for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
Megunticook
Aspirant

NG finally sent an identical replacement unit (overnighted free of charge--much appreciated).

I connected my laptop to it, fire up a browser, and it updated the firmware to the latest version without a hiccup.

Have it in service now and so far so good.

Thanks.

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 10 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Megunticook,

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to know that NETGEAR already sent you the replacement unit and you were able to successfully update the firmware to the latest version.  

Since your concern is now resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements