Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

configuring the FVS318Gv2 for IPv6

Megunticook
Aspirant

configuring the FVS318Gv2 for IPv6

I have a new FVS318Gv2 with the very latest firmware update, everything is running fine.

Am now experimenting with some of the settings (I know, I should leave well enough alone!), and am confused about the IPv6 configuration. My ISP, Spectrum (formely Time Warner Cable) has rolled out IPv6, I've confirmed this by looking at the status on my Netgear Cable modem (and reading Spectrum online documentation). According to the Netgear reference manual, to change to IPv6 in the Prosafe you go to Network Configuration>WAN Settings>WAN mode and change the Routing Mode from "IPv4 Only" to "IPv4 / IPv6 mode." That part went fine, the router rebooted and came back online.

The second part involves going to the next tab over, "Broadband ISP settings," and clicking the "IPv6" radio button in the upper right. For the Internet Address dropdown menu I"ve chosen DHCPv6 and selected the "Stateless Address Auto Configuration" radio button below. When I click the "apply" button at the bottom it says "Operation succeeded." When I click "status" it shows a good connection with an IPv6 address. But when I click out of that tab to somewhere else in the admin, it goes back to showing the "IPv4" radio button selected in the upper right. It's like the IPv6 settings I just saved get undone as soon as I leave.

Any insights as to why this might be happening? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: configuring the FVS318Gv2 for IPv6

Hi @Megunticook,

Am now experimenting with some of the settings (I know, I should leave well enough alone!), and am confused about the IPv6 configuration. My ISP, Spectrum (formely Time Warner Cable) has rolled out IPv6, I've confirmed this by looking at the status on my Netgear Cable modem (and reading Spectrum online documentation). According to the Netgear reference manual, to change to IPv6 in the Prosafe you go to Network Configuration>WAN Settings>WAN mode and change the Routing Mode from "IPv4 Only" to "IPv4 / IPv6 mode." That part went fine, the router rebooted and came back online.

Just want to verify, do you have an IPv6 internet subscription with Spectrum?  

The second part involves going to the next tab over, "Broadband ISP settings," and clicking the "IPv6" radio button in the upper right. For the Internet Address dropdown menu I"ve chosen DHCPv6 and selected the "Stateless Address Auto Configuration" radio button below. When I click the "apply" button at the bottom it says "Operation succeeded." When I click "status" it shows a good connection with an IPv6 address. But when I click out of that tab to somewhere else in the admin, it goes back to showing the "IPv4" radio button selected in the upper right. It's like the IPv6 settings I just saved get undone as soon as I leave.

If ever you are subscribed with an IPv6 internet connection, kindly access the article below and use it as your reference guide:

How to Configure Dynamic IPv6 Connection on a PROSAFE Firewall

Also, try to use other browsers like Firefox or IE and reboot the FVS318Gv2 if ever it seemed that it did not apply the settings then observe.  

Regards, 

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Megunticook,

Just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
Megunticook
Aspirant

Spectrum has ipV6 but apparently no ipV6 DNS server yet. When I check the connection, I can see an IPv6 address assigned to me as well as an IPv4.

I may need to wait until Spectrum gets an IPv6 DNS server running.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements