Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: fvs318g with HP ProCurve VLAN for guest network?

notes386
Aspirant

fvs318g with HP ProCurve VLAN for guest network?

Had an old Cisco router that was starting to die so found a used FVS318G on Craigslist.  Swapped out the old router and appeared to be working ok for several weeks.  However, our guest network (church) is no longer working & I'm trying to verify the following (ie, I didn't introduce something):

cable modem TO FVS318G TO HP ProCurve VLan TO Netgear WMS5316 wireless manager.

Since the ProCurve is providing the VLan (192.168.2.x) to the wireless manager, and the wireless manager is managing the 6 WAP's, will this work?

Didn't have any complaints for a few weeks, and I was out here last week and saw a laptop connecting to the guest network fine.  Any suggestings on this?   Thanks!

Model: FVS318G|ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi notes386,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Is the FVS318G you have an FVS318Gv1 or FVS318Gv2?  If ever you cannot determine what version, kindly send me a screenshot of the serial number labeled on the device itself via private message.

If ever your old Cisco router supports VLAN wherein the Guest network is configured as one of the VLANs and you have replaced it with an FVS318Gv1, I'm afraid to inform that the FVS318Gv1 does not support VLAN. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
notes386
Aspirant

Appears to be the v1.  I put the old Cisco router back in and it is working.  I don't think I can put the fvs318g  in between the cable modem & the router either.  We don't have management access to the cisco router.  Have the correct password, but when trying to access it just sits in waiting mode...  ;-(

Thanks for the quick reply!

Dan

Message 3 of 7
niemoy
Aspirant

Hi,

The FVS318G would not be applicabe replacement for your existing Cisco router because of the existing VLANs. The FVS318Gv1 doe snot have VLANs. I recommend getting the FVS318Gv2 and I hope you can get a new one so you can expect full support and lifetime prosafe warranty from NETGEAR.

Reference manual for FVS318G - No VLAN feature:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/products/FVS318G/Documentation/RM/FVS318G_RM_27Aug10.pdf

Reference manual for FVS318Gv2 with VLAN configurations page 59:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/FVS318GV2/FVS318Gv2_RM_21Oct2014.pdf

Let me how I can help further.

Message 4 of 7
notes386
Aspirant

Strange, the Cisco EA3500 doesn't support VLan either.  We have a VLan switch (the ProCurve) that is doing the VLan activity.  And the Cisco has been working fine for a couple years- but it has the "waiting" but so we don't have management access.  That is why we wanted to swap it out (with the Netgear we got used locally; church, so need to watch the $$).  Wish I could figure out what the router is doing different from the FVS318Gv1...

Thanks again,

Dan

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@notes386,

Let us isolate the problem.

a. Kindly try this setup: connect the cable modem to the WAN port of the FVS318Gv1 then connect a PC directly to any LAN port of the FVS318Gv1.  Configure the FVS318Gv1 for internet access.  Are you able to go online just fine through the FVS318Gv1? 

b. Are there any other VLANs configured on the HP ProCurve switch aside from the Guest VLAN?  If yes, if you will connect the HP ProCurve switch to a LAN port of the FVS318Gv1, do other VLANs have internet access?

c. What is the current firmware version of the FVS318Gv1? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@notes386,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements