Re: Rif.: fvs336G v3 - slow throughput

jholmes20
Follower

fvs336G v3 - slow throughput

My internet is Comcast Cable:

Model: Arris TG1682G/CT-0

Speed thru Modem: 😧 120Mbps, U: 20Mbps

Bridge Mode: Enabled

The problem I'm having is I'm only getting 😧 50Mbps thru the FVS336Gv3.

FW: 4.3.4-2

1 port forward: ALLOW ALWAYS

IPSEC VPN setup

I obviously tried ONLY having my PC connected by a direct connection, but couldn't get better than around 50Mb Down.  I read the posting about IPv6 here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/VPN-Firewalls/FVS336Gv3-IPv6-throughput-slower-than-IPv4/m-p/112087... .  I have IPv6 disabled in the router. Maybe I'm misreading this and it is the issue but I wasn't quite sure if I was understading if it can really do 350Mb if the modem is presenting IPv6.

I'm not sure what else to check.  Thank-you for any feedback in advance.

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 9
jholmes_crestro
Aspirant

Re: fvs336G v3 - slow throughput

I'm having trouble with a similiar situation.  Please let me know if you come up with anything.

Message 2 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jholmes20,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Just to confirm, are you subscribed with an IPv6 connection from Comcast? 

b. Are you able to get a download speed higher than 50Mbps (or almost 120Mbps) before through the FVS336Gv3?

c. Is the Arris TG1682G/CT-0 modem configured as a modem-only device or as a modem-router combo?

d. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on the FVS336Gv3 then reconfigure it from scratch?

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 3 of 9
jholmes_crestro
Aspirant

DaneA,

a. I believe IPv6 is available, however I have it disabled in the FVS336

b. My downloads were topping out at @ 40Mbps, however we had "Traffic Monitoring" enabled.  ONce I disabled this my speed went up to 50Mbps.  It hasn't gone any higher than this yet.

c. It is configured in Bridge mode.  Theoretically should be operating as a modem only.

d. I haven't tried to reset yet as I don't want to really invest the time into reconfiguring everything from scratch...yet anyway.

Jonthan

Message 4 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jholmes_crestro,

Do you have any Inbound rules configured on the FVS336Gv3?  If there is none, kindly try to downgrade the firmware of the FVS336Gv3 to v4.3.4-1.  Be sure to perform a factory reset after downgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch.  Check if same problem occurs. 

You can download firmware v4.3.4-1 here.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 5 of 9
jholmes_crestro
Aspirant

DaneA,

No inbound rules...I do have one inbound service setup for port 32789 forward to 1 internal IP.

Another thing I noticed the other day was that I was plugged into the Xfinity modem/router combo and was getting 120Mbps.  When I plugged in the FVS336 with nothing else plugged in to it, the speed for me dropped to 50Mbps.  Just to be clear it was ONLY my computer and the FVS336.  It may have been a fluke, but the speed with the router dropped to 50Mbps which I thought was exceptionally weird and made me think the Xfinity modem was noticing a router plugged in and was decreasing the speed for some reason.  

(Also I am the original poster, my original username wouldn't allow me to sign back in w/it and forced me to create a new one, even though I'm geting emails from both users. )  Thanks again for the input,

Message 6 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

Have you tried factory defaulting the unit?  What are the results?

Have you tried factory defaulting and then updating the firmware, and then defaulting it again, and then trying?

I had a similar issue on 3 fvs318n that never saw about 50-60Mbps.  After a certain firmware update, I can easily push them 200+.

Message 7 of 9
Jacopik
Aspirant

Rif.: fvs336G v3 - slow throughput

Hi there,

I have the same issue. I have a PROSAFE FVS336S V3 (firmware 4.3.5-3) and I have performed several test on it in order to understand why it cuts 30 Mbs to my internet speed.

My scenario:

1) I have a VDSL2 internet connection (200 Mbs download and 20 Mbs upload...at least theorethically )

2) I have a VDSL2 Modem set in full bridge (authentication with ISP is thus perfromed by the Netgear Firewall)

3) I have tried to test the internet speed (by using several internet speed test available on the web, either flash based and non flash based and thus by getting the average values) by going in to the Modem directly with my PC and by getting connected by setting a wide-band connection on my PC. Test result: 75 Down / 20 Up)

4) I have tried the above said again, by putting in the middle the Netgear Prosafe and the speed was cut 40 Mb off in Download ! (no changes on Upload speed).

5) About the Prosafe settings:

a) I have to VLAN, both getting the Internet from the WAN1 port - To perfrom the above said test, I have disabled the VLAN #2 and I have attached my PC in to the VLAN # 1 port.

b) I have three VPN connetions set (two IPSEC on demand and on Peer to Peer always on) - To perform the above test I disabled all the VPN connections

c) I have severl WAN to LAN inbound and outbound rules set - To perform the above said test I have disabled ALL THE RULES

d) I have an IP/MAC protocl binding chart set in to the Firewall (about 30 MAC bound with IPs) - As said above, I have performed the above said test by connecting my PC straight in to the VLAN #1 port of the Firewall, so I do not think the IP/MAC binding service can affect the speed test (no other PC are connected to the LAN, but my one)

e) I do not have any other service set as ON in to the Firewall: no QoS, no Traffic Meter/Control, no DMZ, no Logs, nothing else but the above said.

So, the question is: Why the Firewall cuts the internet speed ? Why it cuts 40 Mbs off even if it doesn't have any service to work on ? The WAN-to-LAN speed of the model I bought should be 350 Mbs so, I guess there is enough room to perform a 70 to 75 Mbs speed on WAN, don't you think ?

Please help me with this really annoying issue.

Thanks

Jacopo 

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 8 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Rif.: fvs336G v3 - slow throughput

Hi Jacopik,

This thread is too old already. We will just continue on the new thread that you created.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements