Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

qos does not work

BobC99
Tutor

qos does not work

Hello

I am running latest firmware 4.3.3.6 on my FVS336GV2, and all seems to work well except priority for VoIP calls. I tried to set it up numerous times in the QoS Priority menu item for my VoIP phone and still if I am talking on the phone and then try to do some web surfing the phone call gets garbled. I also tried setting high priority for Ports 5060 and ports 10000 to 20000 which I use for RTP and still did not work. Any suggestions would be helpful since I have to stop all Internet activity to talk on the phone.

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 1 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: qos does not work

Hi BobC99,

It seems that you are already on the latest firmware. Have you tried resetting it to factory default? Were you able to isolate the issue?

Regards,

Message 2 of 16
BobC99
Tutor

yes tried reseting to default numerous times,, does not help

@JohnC_V wrote:

Hi BobC99,

It seems that you are already on the latest firmware. Have you tried resetting it to factory default? Were you able to isolate the issue?

Regards,

Message 3 of 16
BobC99
Tutor

Yes I tried reseting the unit and it does not help.

Message 4 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BobC99,

Please download the configuration file of the firewall and upload it via wikisend so that we can inquire this issue that you were having, if it's okay with you. Please pm me the file ID.

Thank you!

Regards,

Message 5 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi BobC99,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if you still need further assistance.

Regards,

Message 6 of 16
BobC99
Tutor

ok thanks,, I created the .cfg file. How do I add it to this message??

Message 7 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BobC99,

I'll send you a pm.

Regards,

Message 8 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BobC99,

As I checked the configuration file that you attached. I don't see any issues regarding your setup. As for additional information, may you be able to also send me some screenshots of your configuration?

Regards,

Message 9 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BobC99,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if everything works ok now or you still need further assistance.

Regards,

Message 10 of 16
BobC99
Tutor

no, it does not work. I have not received any suggestions of how to fix this problem other than reset the unit back to default, which I did and does not work.

Message 11 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BobC99,

We need to learn more about your network setup. Please give us more information below:

- Is this a new installation of either the FVS336Gv2 or the VOIP system?

- Did the calls and browsing work OK before at any time?... Has there been any topology changes?

- What is the network topology? Screenshots?

- What device is connected between the FVS336Gv2 WAN and the Internet?... a modem or modem/router?

- What is the Internet connection type… Cable, DSL, Satellite, 3G/4G?

- What is the upload/download speeds available on the Internet connection?

- Have you tried to Enable SIP ALG, found in Security – Firewall – Advanced. Does this make any difference?

Regards,

Message 12 of 16
BobC99
Tutor

this is an existing installation

calls work fine except when there is a large download from a computer I noticed some garbled/distorted audio for a few seconds at the beginning of the download.

Topology is cable modem to FVS336G to 24 port ethernet switch to computer and Voip telephone

Download speed is 20mbps, upload is 5 mbps

I turned on SIP ALG and it seemed to help a little,, but still getting some garbled audio at beginning of any large computer download .

Message 13 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BobC99,

It seems that you are also connected to a 24 port Ethernet switch. Were you able to set the QOS on the switch? If QOS is not supported by your switch, then you may connect the IP Phone directly to the FVS as the QOS is set on the firewall and it should prioritize and not cause garbled audio.

Regards,

Message 14 of 16
BobC99
Tutor

Yes I tried connecting the VoIP phone directly to the FVS router, and still the same problem. I wonder if it could be a problem with my Internet service supplier limiting my bandwidth on their end??

Message 15 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BobC99,

You may try to replace your existing firewall with other router and check if it will be having the same issue. If not, then it might probably an issue with the FVS that it is already outdated as this is only a version 2 of this hardware. No firmware versions are being produced on this unit unlike the version 3. 

Regards,

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements