Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

srx5308 remote firmware upgrade and now firewall inaccessible

pbutros
Aspirant

srx5308 remote firmware upgrade and now firewall inaccessible

I remotely upgraded the firmware to my srx5308 to the lastest version posted as of 8/16/2017. The firmware upgrade went fine and the firewall rebooted. Now I cannot reach the firewall remotely. Does a firmware upgrade wipe config data? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
pbutros
Aspirant

Re: srx5308 remote firmware upgrade and now firewall inaccessible

I don't recall the exact version but I believe it was 2.2.0 and was upgrading to 4.3.5-3. I ended up going to the location and found that the firewall had been factory reset after the firmware update. The IP was reset to default 192.168.1.1 and password also to the default. I also found the config file I had saved prior to the upgrade would fail to apply to the new firware (checksum error). If I revert/activate the firmware to the older version, I can apply the config file without an issue.

The bottom line here is that the darn upgrade wiped everything and wouldn't allow me to apply the saved config which is garbage design in my opinion. I inherited this piece of equipment and will be changing them to something legit like Cisco. I have 5 of them and will not be making the same mistake again.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pbutros,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. From what firmware version and to what firmware version did you upgrade the SRX5308?

b. Are you connected via VPN when you did the firmware upgrade? 

c. Were you not able to contact someone where the SRX5308 is deployed and check if it has already booted up?

d. Is the Public WAN IP address set statically on the SRX5308?  If yes, were you able to check it using the tracert or ping command via the command prompt?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
pbutros
Aspirant

I don't recall the exact version but I believe it was 2.2.0 and was upgrading to 4.3.5-3. I ended up going to the location and found that the firewall had been factory reset after the firmware update. The IP was reset to default 192.168.1.1 and password also to the default. I also found the config file I had saved prior to the upgrade would fail to apply to the new firware (checksum error). If I revert/activate the firmware to the older version, I can apply the config file without an issue.

The bottom line here is that the darn upgrade wiped everything and wouldn't allow me to apply the saved config which is garbage design in my opinion. I inherited this piece of equipment and will be changing them to something legit like Cisco. I have 5 of them and will not be making the same mistake again.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pbutros,

Thanks for the feedback.  The initial firmware version of the SRX5308 is v3.0.6-9 and there is no v2.2.0 found on the SRX5308 download page.  However, if ever the firmware version of the SRX5308 is really v2.2.0 then its way too old.  Once you upgrade it to the latest version, the config file you have backed-up from the old firmware version (v2.2.0) will not be restored once the firmware has been upgraded to the latest version (v4.3.5-3) and it will really result to a checksum error because new updates and fixes are included with the latest firmware version.  Also, its really possible that the SRX5308 did a factory reset on its own in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pbutros,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further concerns.

Otherwise,  if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements