Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: srx5308 upnp activated but my qnap cannot assign its ports

don_daniel
Tutor

srx5308 upnp activated but my qnap cannot assign its ports

Hi there

i just installed my srx5308 and connected all devises... now , my qnap server has the function to set the ports (UPNP) itself but that requires a router that is supporting this... the srx5308 has this function which I enabled .. but my server still is saying that he cannot find a upnp router (no upnp router found on the network)... 

can you help me to use the upnp feature on the server so it sets the ports automaticaly on the srx5308?

regards

daniel

Message 1 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is the QNAP server directly connected to the SRX5308?

b. It is possible that port forwarding is required.  What are the ports that are needed to be opened for the QNAP server?

c. What is the current firmware version of the SRX5308?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

hi

i have 2 QNAP.s  ... one is directly linked to the srx5308 and the other one has a prosave managed switch in between. ... 

it looks like sometimes it finds the upnp and then again not.... 

i have tons of port forwarding that I need

i am using 4.3.4-2

by the way... where do I have an overview of all the IP addresses currently used in my LAN network? I couldn't find it so far...

Message 3 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

About port forwarding on the SRX5308, kindly read pages 140-145, 149-151 and 164-168 of the SRX5308 reference manual here.  

On the web-GUI of the SRX5308, go to Network Configuration > LAN Settings > LAN Groups to check the overview of all the IP address currently used in your LAN network.  For more information, kindly read pages 97-98 of the SRX5308 reference manual.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

hi

thank you for the statements out of the manual. I am actually not referring to the manual settings that are posted in these articles.

i am referring to the UPNP function that the firewall supports (as of page 199 explained).

I have several NAS and a server that are settings the ports they require automatically... if the firewall is supporting it. according the above description, the srx5308 does, in theory at least..

Message 5 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

anyone can help me further? 

It seems that the srx5308 is accepting the ports in UPNP set up and then I can use the ports from outside (like for backup) but after a certain time (30-60minutes) the ports seem to be removed on the UPNP set up and the backup is aborting as the ports are closed!

and then about 10-15 minutes later, my ports are available again from outside!! and so it goes on! 

it seems to me that the srx5308 periodical uPNP re-scan is somehow throwing out all current port settings... is there any setting on the srx5408 that i can tweek to have a stable port forwarding using UPNP?

and about the ports i need.. i need some for https access as well as backup needs some ports... just to name a few

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 6 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

From what you have mentioned,  it is impossible to know which is at fault and why is it after 30-60 minutes the port mapping is removed and is re-scanned.

With regard to your question “it seems to me that the SRX5308 periodical uPNP re-scan is somehow throwing out all current port settings... is there any setting on the SRX5308 that I can tweak to have a stable port forwarding using UPNP?” – the answer here is no, as we can only set the Advertisement period and Time to Live, but not the periodical re-scan time.

If ever you could possibly gather the dbg logs after the issue appears: so the QNAP is found and UPnP opens the ports, then they are lost, and then opened again, kindly take the dbg logs and attach it here on this forum thread. 

Furthermore, it would also be worthwhile for you to kindly check up with QNAP Support Team as well if they can verify the NAS is not causing the issue. Just to be clear, we are not trying to put the blame on the QNAP NAS, we just need to get their perspective on the issue as it is too hard to know which is causing the issue from the information we have.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

yes indeed. i have contacted qnap too... lets see if there is somithing coming back from them

regarding the log.. what kind of settings would i have to set to properly log upnp activities?

and... if that is not going to  be solved fast... where can I set the ports myself? any rules to follow?

I assume the outbound ports are open anyway.. so I would only need to configure the inbound ports? is that correct? where is that done? on the port triggering tab? might e a problem  as I have ports below 1025 which is the lowest port I can set there in the port triggering section

just had such an 'outage' again! and what I can say is that it is blocking all internet access as a whole! I don't get to the pages outside ... for about 2 minutes!! so, maybe the UPNP settings are just a symptom to the probem that the srx5308 is not available for 2 minutes (sounds like it is rebooting??)

Message 8 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

I suggest that we get first the dbg logs from the SRX5308 for it to be analyzed before we configure anything on the SRX5308 such as port triggering.  Here are the steps to get the dbg logs from the SRX5308:

a. Connect a PC directly to the SRX5308.

b. Open a browser like Chrome or Firefox.

c. At the address bar, type https://LAN_IP_address_of_the_SRX5308/scgi-bin/dbglog.cgi (for example: https://192.168.1.1/scgi-bin/dbglog.cgi).

d. Press Enter and it will automatically download the dbg logs.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

sure. log is ready.... but it seems i can only upload images?? no files??

Spoiler

it is a tgz zipped file with lots of additional files in it 

Message 10 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

You may use http://wikisend.com/ to upload the dbg logs then kindly post the download link when you reply back so that I can download it here on my end.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

Message 12 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

I have already forwarded the dbg logs from your SRX5308 to be analyzed.  I will post here the findings as soon as I receive a feedback.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

hello 

i did a hard reset on the firewall and it seems like this has solved my issue... since 24 hours no such aborts anymore.. 

lets cross fingersè!! 

Message 14 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

well..was too enthusiastic... 

problems are back! 

would be great to analyise the file that I have provided ... thanks!

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 15 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

and something to add... I did enter recently port triggering entries (3 lines)... can that be the root cause of the issues I have?

Message 16 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

I just got a feedback from a higher tier of NETGEAR Support who reviewed the dbg logs.   There is no trace found of having an issue with UPnP from the SRX5308.

To further isolate the problem, kindly add another device which has UPnP capability (which is not one of the QNAP NAS) and see if a separate device is seeing the same issue with UPnP table being cleared and needing to re-scan.  Kindly get the dbg logs as well to be analyzed.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

hi 

thank you very much for communicating to the netgear support. 

I have meanwhile found out that the upnp setings/unavailability of the srx5308 happens only when the I add port triggering ruls! when I remove them, I dont get any problems anymore... 

i have now adde lan wan rules and it also works without problems... so generally speaking my problem I could get around by using a work around.. still, I have this srx5308 and do expect that all features work ... also upnp settings and port triggering... 

Message 18 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

and just a question for clarification... do i need upnp enabled as well as port forwarding/triggering when adding ddns to the SRX5308? is it not the purpose of the ddns to let pass communication in/outbound which would make the port settings obsolete?

Message 19 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

You do not need to enable UPnP or configure port forwarding/triggering when adding DDNS to the SRX5308.  Also, DDNS has no purpose to let pass communication in/outbound which would make the port settings obsolete.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

so, did I get you correctly, that by adding the ddns to the router, i can remove all port settings including disabling the upnp function... 

I then would access my servers and all other applications that are working with ports by using the DDNS address and the port number ... 

how is that managed if I am within the LAN / not over WAN... and for example I want to use the TELNET to acces a server... I cannot use the DDNS within the LAN but would rather use the internal IP address:port number... is that possible without UPNP/Port triggering/forwarding enabled?

Message 21 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

For example, your DDNS is don_daniel.com and you will need port 8080 to access the NAS from outside your network.  You will need open port 8080 and point it to the LAN IP Address of the NAS.  Then, to access the NAS outside your network, you will enter https://don_daniel.com/8080 on the address bar of a browser. 

If you are within your LAN, you do not need DDNS to access the server via telnet.  Port forwarding, port triggering and UPnP are not needed as well. Just simply open hyperterminal or PuTTy then open a telnet session to the server.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

ok.. i am apparantly not smart enough to understand your input...

For example, your DDNS is don_daniel.com and you will need port 8080 to access the NAS from outside your network.  You will need open port 8080 and point it to the LAN IP Address of the NAS.  Then, to access the NAS outside your network, you will enter https://don_daniel.com/8080 on the address bar of a browser. 

the bold sentence is the one that I do not understand... I need to open a port?? so I still would need the upnp and port triggering settings or what do you mean with open a port..??=

Message 23 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi don_daniel,

What I mean by "You will need open port 8080" is you will need to configure port forwarding. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 24 of 36
don_daniel
Tutor

aha.ll well then I am where I was before. thanks

Message 25 of 36
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 2 kudos