Solved - Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (2,0)

pathfinder99
Follower

Solved - Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (2,0)

This error appeared after replacing the RAM module and after a clean sutdown. The normal procedures for recovery didn't work.  The RN312 doesn't have a display, but the corresponding lights to recover didn't even light up. Connected the RN312 to a monitor (HDMI) and concluded the installed RAM was supported. Therefore I assume the the factory boot image (DOM?) seemed to be damaged.

Tried to use the Netgear os6-recovery-tool-v2.0.r17. Don't forget to put your corresponding firmware download into the corresponding subfolder of the unpacked recovery tool before using it, in my case the x86 folder. This is not in the manual!

After trying 4 USB sticks (4 Gb and 8 Gb) with the recovery tool, the ReadyNAS refused to boot with neither of the sticks. Contacted support, they had no solution. Then I took the oldest USB stick I had, 2 Gb. The fifth one. And guess? The RN312 booted form that old,crappy USB stick, and I got my NAS back.

I guess this problems and solvation goes also for the other RN312 models, but also for the RN2xx and 4xx models.

Conclusion 1:

Netgear can get instable by increasing RAM. Always back-up!!!

Conclusion 2:
I suppose that Netgear NAS systems are very picky about the used USB sticks. This is a real problem in case you are getting the same error/ same problem I got. An HDMI connector or at least a display is recommended to solve these kind of problems.

Hope you can use this thread. Kind regards!

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 1
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation