Aspirant

Re: Please Join here for WG111/WG111T/WG111U issues

Hi I have a WG111T on an XP computer. It's 8 months old so it's out of warranty. I experienced the same problems where it would randomly not connect on start-up or disconnect, but could be fixed by unplugging and plugging in again. I thought i would try uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but the uninstall completely hanged the system in midcourse. So I forced a system shutdown. Uninstalling thru Control Panel also failed. I deleted all the Netgear directories and the driver in Windows' system folder, and then tried to install using the version 2.1 download from their web site. I ran Norton Utilities to clean the registry of any orphan pointers issues, I start the installer, it asks me to choose the destination folder, I press the button for the default and the button stays depressed and it gets no further. Restarting and plugging in the adapter gets me nowhere- no light, no setup wizard, nothing. I was better oiff with the intermittent connection....now I have nothing!!!
Aspirant

Also, went into Device Manager and there are a bunch of WG111T-related devices, all of which have the yellow asterisk. I can't uninstall them because it says they might be necessary for booting up the computer!!! I try disabling them instead but that doesn't help either. GRRRRR:mad:
Aspirant

To those with the random cutting out of the internet, I think I have a solution for you. I messed around and changed one setting and I have yet to experience the internet cutting out again.

I noticed that when the signal cut out and I'd unplug and plug in my WG111T usb adapter, it was very hot, and sometimes plugging it back in wouldn't fix the internet unless I restarted the router as well. So...

In Windows 7:

* Right click on your desktop, select "Personalize".
* Click Screen Saver, then go to "Change Power Settings".
* Click "Change Plan Settings", then click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
* Click the + by "Wireless Adapter Settings", then "Power Saving Mode".
* Change the option to "Low Power Saving".

Mine was originally set to "maximum performance", which is why I think it was overheating and causing problems. I am using the original driver that came on the CD included with the adapter, as I couldn't get the v2 driver to work for whatever reason and had to go back to the original.

Hope this helps!
Aspirant

Hi there

I've been a happy user of a WG111v2 for well over year. One too many times using the laptop in bed incident led to it getting bent at the USB connector & ceasing to work. No problem I thought, I'll just get another one.

Though I ordered a v2, a reconditioned v3 came through the post. No problem I thought, I'll just download the installation programme and drivers. All went well, I even saw the magic words connected to the internet, but little did I know that that was since I still had my ethernet cable in. Remove that and it switches to "connected to router".... then just gives me _._._._. and and IP address of 0.0.0.0. The connection to the router - Netgear DG834gv2 is excellent.

I thought that the domain region being set to USA might be significant (I'm in the UK) so I uninstalled and used a slightly older version of the installation programme that gave me to option of setting the domain region to Europe. Still no connection. All other laptops are connecting fine.

This machine is XP SP2

Any advice gratefully received!
Aspirant

I should add the the onboard but rather slow and short-range wireless adaptor on the same lap top connect fine - in fact I'm using it now.
Aspirant

Well I solved my problem on my own eventually - by setting IP manually and disabling the netgear wizard
Aspirant

WG111v3 Disconnecting on Mac OS 10.5.8

Disconnects at random times. Sometimes it happens 20-30min after I quit the LAN Client utility - sometimes it happens 20-30 minutes after connecting, even without quitting the LAN Client utility.

Also, I can't find a way to get it to automatically connect to the my wireless network when I turn my computer on. Even after I save the network in my profiles, and make it my default.
Aspirant

WG111v3 I think it's gone!

The last couple of weeks I have had some connection issues. It has gotten so bad that now all the adapter does is scan and try to connect. If I click the networks tab I can see my network, and several others like normal. But no matter what the adapter won't connect to any encrypted network. The device is recognized, the LED is flashing, everything looks good not no connect.

It worked perfect for about 4 months, I have also tried it in another machine, and it is the same behavior. I called 1-888-NETGEAR and per the user manual contacted tech support, the gentleman was very nice, but wanted me to go through all the basic troubleshooting I have already done including:

Try new connection from scanned networks list
Re-enter password
Reboot all devices
Uninstall/reinstall

The last advice was to download the drivers on the netgear site, and call back, even though they are older than the drivers I have on the install disk. This is a 35meg download and is a little tough since I am hobbled for internet right now. The netgear download site asked me to register (again), enable scripts, jump through hoops with my browser settings and STILL wouldn't let me download anything.

It's defective, need an RMA, anybody know how to get it done?

Thanks,
bw
Aspirant

I hope this is not off-topic. I have a Mac G4 450mhz, AGP and a WG111V3. I went to the site and downloaded the Mac driver for OS X 10.3 but it doesn't seem to open and install when I use Stuffit to unzip. I tried it to a memory stick. Stuffit tries but fails with a message that seems to indicate there is no install file to load after unzipping the downloaded file. This WG111 is not in warranty. Is there no way to ask Netgear to verify the driver is not corrupt? It seems they only want communication if the product is in warranty.

Thanks for reading.

Bob
EMS911
Luminary

File should in DMG file and should auto mount or even zip should be unzip by itself. I'm not on my office PC so can't check Mac driver till late today
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Would anyone know how to create a portable version of the WG111 software to use with a Live OS? It would need to totally run from the folder. Thanks.
Aspirant

I'm running WinXP SP2 with WGR614v6 router. I have another desktop on WinXP Prof SP2, with the adapter WG111v2. I had problems with XP freeze and lose your connection idle or surfing the Internet. I went to the window to update the NETGEAR download the latest driver. The firmware version; V2.0.19_1.0.19NA. When updating, I was able to identify the wireless network, but was "limited or no access" message. The OP system still crashes that require the power to scan files and a second. Went to the forum and found nothing that helped. Tried all the obvious solutions, decrypt, delete, install software, etc. .. ipconfig / all reports the IP address or gateway. There is an oddity that I found the Netgear WG111 Download Window ... It indicates whether the serial number has begun to WG72 to download a version different from the one I installed. (WG111_2_1.zip) My ser # WG72 begins .... I updated the driver to version 3.4 is recommended for WG111v2. I went back to 2

One version, and still can not get the IP address of the PO and the system continues to freeze your liking. When the credit system freezes "the blue" indicator turns off the adapter. A CD with my WG111v2 adapter suggesting ... I am baffled by the serial number of the Netgear conitation and what it actually means. They refer to "TVRO" which of course I do not use.
Tera Online Tera Gold
Aspirant

Re:WG111 v3 issues for Mac

I have a usb wireless adapter WG111 v3 for use w/my Mac 10.3.9.-Panther. Last year I had no problems with getting it installed on the eMac which my sister loaned to me, and it connected to her wireless router w/no problem. Then I got a laptop from my brother, it's bit the dust, and now I'm back to the old faithful eMac. I don't have the original install disk. Instead, I've tried to down load the software from netgear. I've tried this for two to three times. The icon and everything is where its supposed to be; however, when I click on the icon, it bounces for a few seconds, and disappears. It doesn't make contact or open. What am I doing wrong? Smiley Sad I'm pretty sure that everything downloaded correctly. Please can I get some assistance from a Mac user and not a PC user? I have things that I do online, and need to get back on as soon as possible. Thank you.
Steven James
Aspirant

I could use some help with my WG111v2. It seems to have installed correctly after a format/reinstall of Vista, but now won't connect to my network. It connected prior to the format/reinstall, so I doubt it'd be the hardware. What it seems to do is endlessly scan for networks, it can show me those available (including my own) but will not connect. Can anyone help me?
Aspirant

Am I missing something here or has this been ongoing for years with no fix. Incredible!

So reason for the post:

Can anyone recommend an adapter that does work? Maybe one that costs a lot of money as I am happy to pay so that I don't have to waste hours trying to get rubbish products to work (don't take this personally Netgear, your competitors provide products of equal quality). This is a serious question - I'm thinking maybe an Ethernet to wireless adapter and I am willing pay a premium.

Thanks in advance.
Aspirant

hmm just seen this like some of the posts early on i had one of these adapters worked find for a few year but then wouldn't connect when it got too hot then it eventually dies it would just cause windows to blue screen whenever i plugged it in to the computer even tried with out its driver installed still did them same so its now in landfill somewhere
Novice

WG111 is suddenly not working. Software Issue?

Had to remove a virus/malware today, and now I can't connect to the Net. My modem and router are working fine. When I click on the Netgear icon, nothing happens, nada. Tried reinstalling the Netgear software, and but that didn't help. I am using Windows 7 on a 64-bit machine, and connecting with a Netgear WG111 adapter. Keep in mind that everything was working for a long time before the virus. The virus appears to be gone, and I can connect to the Net with other computers. Thanks.
Aspirant

Hi there. New here. Just moved to new resi and established my desk pc as base for wirelessWGT624. My sweetie is set up with WG111T adaptor...BUT the little bugger heats up. Is this normal? If not is there a fix?
Gratefully,
rogerbolt
Luminary

rogerbolt wrote:
Hi there. New here. Just moved to new resi and established my desk pc as base for wirelessWGT624. My sweetie is set up with WG111T adaptor...BUT the little bugger heats up. Is this normal? If not is there a fix?
Gratefully,
rogerbolt

adapter are usually get warmer is normal
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply sir. Warm is one thing but this little guy gets very warm....or hot is another way to describe it. only when "on line" though. Still think it's normal?
RB
Highlighted
Aspirant

After much searching for a solution to the seemingly common problem of WG111vX not performing on Windows 7, or even just new machines in general I did find a bit of a work around for a perfectly good adapter that isn't doing what it's supposed to. (I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium)

First, navigate to:
Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network Connections

Right click on your Wireless Network Connection and go to Properties.
Click the 'Configure' button beneath your wireless adapter's name
In the new pane, click the "Advanced" tab
Select 'Channel' in the Property box
If the number in the 'Value' box is 1, change it. I changed mine to 6. My download speed, connectivity and browser performance increased drastically. (from 0.43Mbps to 15.74Mbps according to speedtest.net)
While I'm not sure that it's performing to it's full potential yet, it is SO much better now than when I first installed it on this new machine.
Aspirant

Hi

Not sure if im posting in correct string so apologies before hand ..

i have a DGN1000 with which i wish to create a wireless ethernet bridge to a recently purchased WGE111 ... Netgear support have informed me that the DGN1000 is not suitable because it does not have WDS.. however i can not find any reference to WDS in WGE111 manuals..

im wanting to use the WGE111 to supply internet to a security alarm pannel that cannot be accessed via cable..the DGN1000 is cabled to a Security camera DVR..

Is The DGN1000 ok ?? or will i need omething else if so which one ???

Thanks
Lastofthefew
Luminary

you don't use WDS on WGE111 which doesn't have.

you need to join with existing wireless setting on the router but I suggest got with more latest unit such as wnce2001, wnce3001 or even wn2500rpt, wn2000rpt
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

First off I would like to apologize if I am asking a question that has already been answered. I believe I have a WG111 v2, to go with my PC, running windows XP. I am having very big problems with internet speed through my WG111 v2. When I first turn on my PC and hover the mouse over the wireless connection icon It says the speed is 54 Mbps, When it reads 54 Mbps I can get a DL of about 5-6 and an UL of 0.70(speedtest.net). I am very happy with these speeds since that's really all I need and all I pay for. However after about a minute the icon starts reading speeds of 1-11 Mbps. When this happens my speed tests show a DL of about 0.70 and a UL of about 0.30(speedtest.net). When I select "repair" on the wireless icon it goes back to 54 Mbps for about a minute, but then relapses. If anyone could shed some light on what might be causing this or how to fix it that would be greatly appreciated.
Aspirant

So, lately, my Netgear Wg111v3 has been VERY slow, and sometimes does not work at all. I've tried many things, restarting router/modem, ipconfig/release and renew, but nothing seems to work. Before now I was downloading at 1 mbps, as speedtest said, but now I am only getting 250 kbps at the most, yet speedtest says my download rate should be 2-4 mbps. If anybody could help I would be happy.
Top Contributors
User Kudos Count