Follower

USB Adapter WNDA3100 Ver. 2 Stuck at "Detecting Adapter"

Just bought this USB adapter today....I installed the software. (Latest Version) on Windows 7. After going through the setup I am stuck at he smart wizard. I've tried different USB ports on my computer so that isn't the issue, windows installs the drivers for adapter automatically however I am at the part where it tells me to insert the adapter and click on next. So I do and the program just sits there saying "detecting adapter..." I've tried installing this software a number of time and still nothing. It has been sitting at this screen for over an hour. I am about to take it back to Best Buy if this can't get fixed.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Aspirant

Re: USB Adapter WNDA3100 Ver. 2 Stuck at "Detecting Adapter"

I've got the same problem (stuck at Detecting adapter...) I guess this one is going back to the store. I waisted 30 minutes on tech support before I gave up waiting for a person.

first netgear product may be the last.
Aspirant

Same problem but only on one laptop. It works on two others.
Aspirant

Same issue - what is everyone doing - returning?
Aspirant

I had this exact problem with the WNA3100 adapter I just bought, but I did manage to get a very helpful helpdesk person who worked through the issues and found a solution. The WNA3100 was needed to get better performance than the WNDA3100v2 I was using for the last three months. See the WNDA3100 forum for details.
Aspirant

Solution sounds easy enough, but what directory did you use so the Smart Wizard could find the driver?
Novice

MartinW2 wrote:
I had this exact problem with the WNA3100 adapter I just bought, but I did manage to get a very helpful helpdesk person who worked through the issues and found a solution. The WNA3100 was needed to get better performance than the WNDA3100v2 I was using for the last three months. See the WNDA3100 forum for details.

Any chance of a link to the thread?
I have a WNDA3100v2 stuck at 'Not Detected', I have tried different USB ports, returned and changed the adapter only to end up with the same problem? Need Help!
wld Aspirant
Aspirant

When I had this problem, I exited the Netgear Wizard and connected to my SSID through Windows 7 networking. It worked for me.
Aspirant

I also had the same problem with this adapter.

The fix for me was to disable the built in Intel adapter in Device Manager. I didn't do this, but someone else did it for me. I recall there were two options one to disable and one to uninstall the adapter. I believe you want to just disable your built in adapter so your Netgear adapter can do its thing.

It appeared that the two adapters were conflicting/interfering with one another and therefore the wizard just kept scanning, but doing nothing.

Once the built in adapter was disconnected, the wizard connected to the router and Internet.

My Internet speed was like 5-11Mbps, with anywhere from 10-30% signal strength, 3-4 yellow bars showing on the wizard icon thing, but good enough for a Internet connection. Given the fact I am 300' from the main house and router I can't complain.

But, this past week and today I only have 1-2Mbps and it takes to long to turn a page on the Internet. I can go make a BLT and come back and maybe the page turned? Then my post session times out and I have to sign in again, more spinning..."The BLT connection."

I noticed my Intel adapter is also currently on? Maybe I will disable that again to see if it helps my connection speed or get rid of my multiple connections showing in my Network & Sharing Center? I have a thread elsewhere in this forum trying to figure this out? Maybe someone can answer my speed/connection/multiple connection issues?
Aspirant

wld wrote:
When I had this problem, I exited the Netgear Wizard and connected to my SSID through Windows 7 networking. It worked for me.

This worked for me too. I also had to disable the built in NIC.
Aspirant

Hello !

I have the same problem with WNA3100 v1.
Did someone find a good solution ?
Can someone help me to fix this problem ?

Thx
Novice

I had the same problem. I called support (India, thanks) and they were useless. I tried version 1.3 and 1.2, different USB ports, nothing. I'm running Windows 7 x64, and my built-in NIC is the Intel 82578DC Gigabit Adapter. Disabling and/or uninstalling it didn't work. Nothing worked, so it's going back to BestBuy tomorrow. Netgear really needs to do a bit more development work. Back to Linksys/Cisco I go. Good luck!
Aspirant

Well??

I just got this today and would like to begin using it straight away. Hence why I bought it.

I disabled my inbuilt Ethernet cables that did not work.

I exited the setup and tried to connect via windows 7, I could not get it to recognize the device.

I have uninstalled, repaired, uninstalled, re-installed over and over.

I cannot get this damn this to work.

It is Friday evening, on Monday morning it is going back if I can't find a solution.

Google led me to this forum. Product is registered.

I also tried various ports. No USB cable.
Aspirant

If you could edit your posts, I would not need to make a new one.

In the adapters section, the usb adapter has been detected, but is listed as 'disabled'. It wont enable either.

I ran diagnose and it just came up with issues, but never said what they were or how to fix them.
Tutor

it seems lot of you are having the same problem with no one getting anywhere

pls note
the netgear usb adapters stop working if the RAM of ur pc is more than 4 GB.. so if u have more than 4 gb ram .. return it to ur resellor

=====
another thing
this works in case u are real lucky
when it says detecting adapter
restart ur pc
go to start > run > type ncpa.cpl
look for wireless network adapter
do u find it??
if no, then, u aint that lucky, return it
if yes, then see whether its disabled or enabled, if disabled , then enable and use it
if it doesnt get enabled or doesnt give u any option to enable, return it
Aspirant

I bought one of these adapters yesterday to math up with the 3700 router and had the same "detecting" problem.

I tried all of the suggestions here but to no avail. I searched the web generally for this problem without stating the adapter model and came up with my solution.

Uninstall the adapter

Uninstall Zonealarm firewall (Don't just disable it)

Reinstall adapter - Hey Presto it installed!

Reinstall Zonealarm

Everything works perfectly.

(Just to be on the safe side I uninstalled all my antivirus.anti malware software at the same time as Zonealarm just so I didn't have to do all the uninstall/reinstall over and over if it wasn't just Zonealarm. All now reinstalled and everything ok).

Hope this helps some people with this problem. May be other firewalls cause the same effect.
Aspirant

shakinman wrote:
I bought one of these adapters yesterday to math up with the 3700 router and had the same "detecting" problem.

I tried all of the suggestions here but to no avail. I searched the web generally for this problem without stating the adapter model and came up with my solution.

Uninstall the adapter

Uninstall Zonealarm firewall (Don't just disable it)

Reinstall adapter - Hey Presto it installed!

Reinstall Zonealarm

Everything works perfectly.

(Just to be on the safe side I uninstalled all my antivirus.anti malware software at the same time as Zonealarm just so I didn't have to do all the uninstall/reinstall over and over if it wasn't just Zonealarm. All now reinstalled and everything ok).

Hope this helps some people with this problem. May be other firewalls cause the same effect.

Done, and done. Worked for me Smiley Happy Cheers shakinman
Aspirant

This may sound silly, but I just ran the installation on WNDA3100v2 three times with it stalling at "detecting", and then realized that the next progress screen was coming up behind the opening splash screen off the CD and waiting for me patiently.
Aspirant

Mine wouldn't work on 2 different computers and was going to just take it back to the store. Tried removing Zone Alarm and it worked!!! I'm a network pro and I spent 2 hours trying to get this thing to work. Very frustrating but happy now. Zone Alarm has been replaced by Microsoft Security Essentials. Funny that my computers are notably faster now!
Tutor

For computers who doesn't have built-in adapters, possible reasons could be the firewall. Try disabling or uninstalling your anti-virus first and adapter. Then reinstall the adapter again, leave the anti-virus uninstalled. You can install the anti-virus again after successfully detecting the adapter. But when you install it back, make sure to reconfigure the settings of the anti-virus/firewall to allow the adapter.

Note: make sure when you plug the adapter to the USB port, device manager detects it and labels as "device is working properly."
Novice

Finallyy!
I just figured how to get this thing to detect for me.
Hopefully I can help somebody, somewhere with this information.
I did post this somewhere else, but I just want to save people some grief.

Okay so I had been trying to get the WNDA3100v2
to work for a few hours, to no avail.
I was able to install the driver and what not, but I kept on
getting hung up on the screen in the Setup Wizard that asks you to
"Plug in the USB adapter and press next" or whatever.
It would begin to try and "detect" the adapter, but it would just sit for a while until the Wizard felt like informing me that the WNDA3100v2 could not be detected.

I then went on to try all of the advice I found on this website and through search engines, regarding this problem. This is what eventually worked for me.

1) Uninstall any drivers that may be installed for the WNDA3100v2 through Add/Remove Programs.

2) Download the latest driver through Support.Netgear.Com
At this time, that was version 2.0.0.1 *Do not install yet*
(Though the driver that comes with on the install disc may work correctly after you follow these steps.)

3) Go to your Device Manager and un-fold the "Network Adapters" topic.
Disable everything that you see. Alternatively, you can click around the icon that brings you to where your wireless connections should be until it takes you to your network adapters. Just disable them all.

4) Deactivate all your firewalls, making sure not to forget the built in Windows Firewall. Your internet shouldn't be working at this point so you should be fine. Just don't forget to reactivate it all to your liking when you are done.

5) Deactivate any Anti-Virus programs you may be running. Though, I actually deleted my AVG Anti-Virus JSYK, just to rule it out. You probably don't have to.

6) Then I simply installed the driver again, with the WNDA 3100v2 unplugged again obviously. Plug it in once more when prompted, and waited for the little message saying that the drivers were correctly installed. At this point though, you will still get the message saying the device is still undetectable, so don't bother pressing "next" on the Install Wizard.

7) Go back to the Device Manager and notice that the WNDA 3100v2 shows up under the "Network Adapters" topic. Right click on the WNDA 3100v2 icon and click Properties. From here click on the "Power Save" tab. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", along with any others that fall along those lines.

[COLOR="Red"]8) Okay so this is the part that finally made the WNDA3100v2 detectable to my computer. Press and hold the "Windows" key, then press the "R" key. Now once you are in the "Run" window, type in services.msc
This should populate a giant list called "Services".
I scrolled through the list and set the "Startup Type" of the following to "Always"...

-WLAN AutoConfig
-WWan AutoConfig
-Function Discovery Resource Publication
-Network Store Interface Service

(Keep in mind that only some of those four processes, or all of those four have something to do with making the WNDA 3100v2 detectable. All I know is that as soon as changed those to "Always", life started looking better. If anybody can elaborate or correct my advice, it would be gladly appreciated.)
[/COLOR]

9) At this point I restarted my computer, while leaving the WNDA 3100v2 plugged into a USB Port. Once Windows finishes booting up, a new screen should hopefully automatically pop up listing all of the available wireless networks. If that is the case, then I just taught customer service a thing or two. Haha.

I sincerely hope everybody can find a solution to this problem regarding the WNDA 3100v2 not being detected, it was really getting on my nerves. I'll try to help if anybody has any questions that can't easily be answered by Alta Vista lol. I really hope I saved somebody a trip to the return aisle. Goodbye.
Aspirant

Well if you download from the website works perfectly my problem is i have a fault tried to uninstall and it wont let me tried to repair and in keeps telling me i have the adapter inserted in pc and havent can anyone tell me what to do i just need to repair it but cant stuck
Aspirant

Well if you download from the website works perfectly my problem is i have a fault tried to uninstall and it wont let me tried to repair and in keeps telling me i have the adapter inserted in pc and havent can anyone tell me what to do i just need to repair it but cant stuck
Aspirant

A growing number of companies recognizes the need to provide Internet access to its customers, partners, and consultants when they visit their facilities. With the new Wired Guest Access feature support on the Cisco WLAN Controllers that uses Cisco Unified Wireless Software Release 4.2.61.0 and later....

security systems
Aspirant

I followed detNATE's checklist and finally got wireless abilities. Thanks for the help and thanks to everyone else too Smiley Very Happy-it's not the first time Zonealarm has stopped something from working!
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors
User Kudos Count