Aspirant

WG111 Can't See My Network

I had originally posted this in the sticky "Please Join here for WG111/WG111T/WG111U issues" but, after reading some of the posts, it has become apparent that the sticky was just a closet to put us in to hide us from the general public. Well, I don't want to be put in a closet. I want either to have my problem solved, or at least to be told that it's unsolvable so that I can stop wasting time and buy a wireless adapter that works.

-----
I have had a WG111 still in the box (not sure which flavour, but it looks like the picture the refers to the WG111v1) for quite a while (it was a "gift" from a company that went under".

A few days ago, I moved my wireless router away from where it was to be closer to my new blueray player. I figured that it would be a good time to finally unpack the wireless adapter.

The computer is running Windows XP.

I installed the software, plugged in the adapter and went to configure it. I find that several wireless networks are shown, but not mine.

I set the Netgear Smart Wizard SSID to "Any (First Available Network)" and set the security to the appropriate settings for my network (WPA-PSK, AES) and entered the correct passphrase.

My network still doesn't appear in either the Setttings tab SSID list, nor in the Network tab scan list. However, at the bottom of the page, in a purple banner, all the available networks get cycled through, including mine. All the others are in red, mine is in green.

In the system tray, the Netgear icon goes from red to green to red as the networks cycle through (its green when it gets to my network, red for all others) and the "Wireless Network Connection" icon's status shows "Acquiring Network Address" (but never actually acquires it).

I realize the adapter is a bit old, but so is the machine (it's for the grandkids playing Wizard 101), but I'm hoping I can get it up and running without needing to buy a new adapter.
Aspirant

Re: WG111 Can't See My Network

Did you ever get this problem figured out? I have been having similar issues with no luck finding any answers.
Aspirant

Clif wrote:
I had originally posted this in the sticky "Please Join here for WG111/WG111T/WG111U issues" but, after reading some of the posts, it has become apparent that the sticky was just a closet to put us in to hide us from the general public. Well, I don't want to be put in a closet. I want either to have my problem solved, or at least to be told that it's unsolvable so that I can stop wasting time and buy a wireless adapter that works.

-----
I have had a WG111 still in the box (not sure which flavour, but it looks like the picture the refers to the WG111v1) for quite a while (it was a "gift" from a company that went under".

A few days ago, I moved my wireless router away from where it was to be closer to my new blueray player. I figured that it would be a good time to finally unpack the wireless adapter.

The computer is running Windows XP.

I installed the software, plugged in the adapter and went to configure it. I find that several wireless networks are shown, but not mine.

I set the Netgear Smart Wizard SSID to "Any (First Available Network)" and set the security to the appropriate settings for my network (WPA-PSK, AES) and entered the correct passphrase.

My network still doesn't appear in either the Setttings tab SSID list, nor in the Network tab scan list. However, at the bottom of the page, in a purple banner, all the available networks get cycled through, including mine. All the others are in red, mine is in green.

In the system tray, the Netgear icon goes from red to green to red as the networks cycle through (its green when it gets to my network, red for all others) and the "Wireless Network Connection" icon's status shows "Acquiring Network Address" (but never actually acquires it).

I realize the adapter is a bit old, but so is the machine (it's for the grandkids playing Wizard 101), but I'm hoping I can get it up and running without needing to buy a new adapter.

The version number can be seen on the side of the WG111. Advise with the correct version. WG111v1 (and up) are able to connect with Windows XP.
Aspirant

yxjames wrote:
The version number can be seen on the side of the WG111. Advise with the correct version. WG111v1 (and up) are able to connect with Windows XP.

I seem to be having the same issue with my WG121A adapter, it does not see my network in the "view available networks" window, but I can see many other networks.

Thank you
Jim
Discussion Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Top Contributors