Aspirant

WNA3100 Stops working

[ Edited ]

I didn't have this problem when I had windows 7 installed. I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64bit and used the windows 8 beta drivers on the website to install the adapter. It works fine for a bit but it would then randomly stop working. In the event logs, I found these errors http://www.eventid.net/display-eventid-10002-source-Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig-eventno-10433-...

What I did as a temp fix was disabled the adapter in the device manager and re-enabled it for it to start working again. This only works for a time as it would randomly go back to the same issue. Is there a fix or maybe a new windows 8 driver update that can fix this issue?

Aspirant

Re: WNA3100 Stops working

Liffento wrote:
I didn't have this problem when I had windows 7 installed. I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64bit and used the windows 8 beta drivers on the website to install the adapter. It works fine for a bit but it would then randomly stop working. In the event logs, I found these errors http://www.eventid.net/display-eventid-10002-source-Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig-eventno-10433-...

What I did as a temp fix was disabled the adapter in the device manager and re-enabled it for it to start working again. This only works for a time as it would randomly go back to the same issue. Is there a fix or maybe a new windows 8 driver update that can fix this issue?

Never mind. I fixed it by installing the version 2 software after the beta drivers got the computer to recognize the wireless adapter. Installing the version 2 software fixed the error.
Aspirant

Liffento wrote:
Never mind. I fixed it by installing the version 2 software after the beta drivers got the computer to recognize the wireless adapter. Installing the version 2 software fixed the error.

Never mind. It didn't fix it. It stopped working again and had to disable and re-enable it in device manager to get it working again.
Aspirant

Liffento wrote:
Never mind. It didn't fix it. It stopped working again and had to disable and re-enable it in device manager to get it working again.

Check to see in its properties if windows shuts it off to save power. Wireless network adapter properties, power management tab, uncheck "allow Windows to turn off this device to save power".
Aspirant

Network and Sharing Center.
Left Click on active connection.
Properties button at bottom with shield.
Configure button.
Uncheck box allowing Windows to turn off device to save power.
Aspirant

virgo47 wrote:
Network and Sharing Center.
Left Click on active connection.
Properties button at bottom with shield.
Configure button.
Uncheck box allowing Windows to turn off device to save power.

Already did that, no change. it would still randomly cause the adapter to stop working. I would either have to disable and re-enable it in device manager or pull it out and plug it back in to get it working.
Aspirant

Liffento wrote:

Have you already tried to manually update the Windows 8 drivers that you have dowloaded from the Device Manager? Try to right-click on the NETGEAR adapter model that should appear under Network adapters or other devices from the Device Manager then choose 'Update Driver Software' then browse your computer for the driver software.

If that would not work, try to pick from a list of device drivers from your computers.
Aspirant

NoXoZ wrote:
Have you already tried to manually update the Windows 8 drivers that you have dowloaded from the Device Manager? Try to right-click on the NETGEAR adapter model that should appear under Network adapters or other devices from the Device Manager then choose 'Update Driver Software' then browse your computer for the driver software.

If that would not work, try to pick from a list of device drivers from your computers.

Already did. Might eventually have to wait until actual full release of Win 8 drivers to come out to fix the issue with the wireless adapter. Something in win 8 is different from win 7 that causes the OS to lose the adapter. It would see it as unrecognized device until after restart at times.
Aspirant

Also forgot to mention that if I have it on the USB ports that is also using my mouse and keyboard, it would cut them off for awhile and they would then load back up so I had to move the adapter to one of the USB 3 ports so it wouldn't cut off any other device. Still the adapter gets errors but at least anything else on the USB 2 ports does not get cut off any more.
Aspirant

Also forgot to mention that if I have it on the USB ports that is also using my mouse and keyboard, it would cut them off for awhile and they would then load back up so I had to move the adapter to one of the USB 3 ports so it wouldn't cut off any other device. Still the adapter gets errors but at least anything else on the USB 2 ports does not get cut off any more.
Aspirant

I found out some links that might help if in case you have not tried it yet. It has some additional details on how you can manually update the driver on Windows 8. Make sure to download the latest driver for your NETGEAR adapter first. Please follow at your own risk:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=451
Aspirant

Already did that as I have been installing drivers like that for years even after uninstalling all drivers for the device. It seems like a conflict with the WLAN Extensibility Module as I saw in event manager it fails to restart causing it to lose the adapter. It would show this: WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll

I have also seen this error for the usbehci which might be related to the issue: A timeout occurred while waiting for the EHCI host controller Asynchronous Schedule to transition to the enabled state.
Aspirant

Ok, I did this to take care of the DCOM errors I was getting and so far the wireless adapter has not dropped once.

In Group Policy Editor (run: gpedit.msc), went to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Distributed COM > Application Compatibility and enabled "allow local activation security check exemptions"

I am still watching it so I wouldn't consider it fixed until probably a week of no issue.
Aspirant

Liffento wrote:
Ok, I did this to take care of the DCOM errors I was getting and so far the wireless adapter has not dropped once.

In Group Policy Editor (run: gpedit.msc), went to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Distributed COM > Application Compatibility and enabled "allow local activation security check exemptions"

I am still watching it so I wouldn't consider it fixed until probably a week of no issue.

No change. It still lost the adapter.
Aspirant

Manually installing the Windows 8 drivers that I got from the site seems to have worked for me. I specifically picked the Windows 8 64bit drivers using the instructions from the site that I have sent to you a while back. Have you already tried installing the adapter on another computer perhaps to isolate the problem?
Aspirant

Netgear came out with new 2.1 drivers for Windows 8 so I installed that. Now only time will tell if the issue got resolved.
Aspirant

Liffento wrote:
Netgear came out with new 2.1 drivers for Windows 8 so I installed that. Now only time will tell if the issue got resolved.

No change. It still loses the connection and then loses the adapter. It would see the adapter as unrecognize device until I reset WLAN AutoConfig and unplug and plug back in the adapter.
Aspirant

Ok, seems the issue might be more then the wireless adapter. Event log shows a couple months worth of errors on usbehci.sys and not sure if the adapter is causing the problem or a bug. The error the event viewer is showing is:

Log Name: System
Source: usbehci
Date: 1/16/2013 1:59:19 AM
Event ID: 3
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Andrew-PC
Description:
A timeout occurred while waiting for the EHCI host controller Asynchronous Schedule to transition to the enabled state.
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

System
Andrew-PC

\Device\USBFDO-3
000068000100000000000000030001C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000210964300000000760000006F0000000700000000000000000000000700000000000000000000000000000000000000E22700005D0200005C0200000100000036010000D72E00000100000000000000070000000000000001000000000000000000000000000000

I posted this on a microsoft community site to see if any of them may have an answer. Error reporting does not show the error so it can't report it.
Aspirant

I've got the same problem here with my WNDA3100v2. Connection drops all the time! It's just impossible to stream a decent movie or transfer a file a cross my network.

I never had any problems with my old D-Link adapter, but the trasfer rates were pretty low. So I bought the WNDA3100v2 so I could benefit from the 5ghz band. Never worked properly with Win8 64bit. Even borrowed another Netgear adapter from a friend (WNA3100) just to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue. Exactly the same problem.

In my opinion these issues are caused by shoddy drivers. Netgear should step up it's game and release some propper Win8 drivers.

NB: how do you manually install these drivers? The drivers I downloaded from the netgear website are non-extractable .exe files.
Aspirant

You can use a software like 7zip that can extract exe files into a folder.
Aspirant

I was having the same issue with the WNDA3100v2 after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 pro. My internet would drop out intermittently and the USB adapter would become unresponsive; sometimes requiring it to be unplugged, other times only a reboot would help. I was running the latest drivers and software from the download page (Software Version 2.1.0.3 (Supports Win8)) when the problems were occuring. I even went the extent of reinstalling Windows 8 via a clean install and the problem was still present; clearly a driver issue!!

Anyways, I think I may have found an answer to my problem and I figured I would share: http://wnda310064bit.webs.com/

I simply manually installed the 64bit version of the drivers listed in the link above (over the official Netgear drivers). I guess this would be considered a rollback of sorts because the driver appears to be older, but it is working almost 24hours later without a single dropped connection or error. Hope this helps.

Again... I am running Windows 8 Pro with the WNDA3100v2 adapter. Hope this helps someone and saves them some of the frustration I have been experiencing.
Aspirant

I also tried this method and at first I thought this was the solution for the dropping connections. But after a while the connection drops returned (mostly during high network loads, like streaming HD content), although not as often as with the latest drivers.
So for me this is a step in the right direction, but not the solution...
Aspirant

St33f wrote:
I also tried this method and at first I thought this was the solution for the dropping connections. But after a while the connection drops returned (mostly during high network loads, like streaming HD content), although not as often as with the latest drivers.
So for me this is a step in the right direction, but not the solution...

I have stressed my connection quite a bit and have yet to drop it, but I will be sure to keep an eye on it after hearing that. Anyways a driver rollback is certainly not a solution.

Netgear really needs to take a look at these forums and do something about an obvious issue in the drivers. I had been running this USB adapter flawlessly for months on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit using these same drivers (which claim Windows 8 support); they just are not stable for Windows 8... period!
Aspirant

Be careful about Windows installing its own drivers... mine from above was overwritten ("updated") after about 48 hours. When this happen my connection dropping issues started up once again. You can change the automatic driver installation settings in Windows 8 under Device Installation Settings. Also be sure not to install Optional Windows Updates.
Aspirant

I just wanted to say that over a month later I have yet to drop a connection using the drivers I posted. Cheers Smiley Wink
Discussion Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Top Contributors
User Kudos Count