Luminary

Re: n600 wireless dual band adapter, (WNDA3100) installion issues

my preference is to change router although that is your decision at last

it is not quite easily to find external antenna capable N adapter.

this is great products that I used to use
http://www.cantenna.com/
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

jmizoguchi; I would broadcast stronger at router then wifi client side
Engenious wireless router has over 1000' distance

R. Which Engenious router are you referring to? I went on their site, they have several N-type routers.

Thanks.
Luminary

http://www.engeniustech.com/index.php/business-networking/indoor-access-points-client-bridges/285-wi...

this is the bad boy...Smiley Happy

you can even add external antenna if later need it...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi;http://www.engeniustech.com/index.php/business-networking/indoor-access-points-client-bridges/285-wi...

this is the bad boy...Smiley Happy

you can even add external antenna if later need it...

R. I checked the ecb-9500 b/g/n router out, it appears that router has only 79 mW of power and is rated as "good" in the range department. Whereas their other routers/extenders have 400-600mW of power. The ecb-3500 b/g, has 600mW power, with range listed as extreme, whatever that means?

I presume my WNDA3100v2 Dual Band N-adapter has a power rating of maybe 50mW?

I believe my landlords Netgear Dual Band Max Range N-router is set in the "compatibility mode" and probably why I only get 3-5Mbps with this adapter, but w/the aluminum pie plate deal I get 11-18Mbps.

I also presume if the router was set to the N only mode, the range/signal would be stronger and I would get a better connection with my N-adapter. But if the router is set in the N mode only, that would disconnect the other G type devices in the house...is this correct?

Also the fact that the N router is set in the "compatibility mode" pretty much eliminates my needing to buy a $70 N-adapter, or nullifying the need for a N type adapter in my situation from what I understand, is this correct?

That a decent G-type 1000mW adapter would suffice in my situation if using "compatibility mode" on the N-router, agree/disagree?
Luminary

have you look at this?

http://www.engeniustech.com/index.php/business-networking/outdoor-access-points-client-bridges/3350-...

you can install this as access point to existing router.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I took a look and it appears to be similar to the ALFA UBD0-gt8 outdoor 1,000mW adapter w/USB ext. cable. The EOC2611P 802.11B/G is a outdoor 600mW wireless bridge. Not to familiar with the EOC2611P other than what I read on their site, but I sent a e-mail for the companies recommendation for my situation.

The ALFA item is about $40, whereas the Engenius item above is $90-$100, but then again maybe a bridge type device is generally more expensive than adapters? The Netgear wnda3100v2 cost about $65 at Walmart I believe, so?

So far the zero cost aluminum pie plate rig has produced the best gain for me. The $65 Netgear adapter got me to off/on maybe 11Mbps, 15-20% signal. The pie plate deal got me to 24Mbps and 40% signal.
Luminary

there is some many manufacture. I can't really tell what to get. I think you need to make ultimate decision Smiley Happy

alfa is one of those taiwan base company
http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=105463

not that netgear and other are not made in china, taiwan etc so probably do the job. Smiley HappySmiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Hi, I just bought an N600 Wifi dual band USB adapter. I just realized that the CD player on my PC is not working, so I can't put in the installation CD to install it. Is there an onine driver I can use so I can install the adapter without using the CD? Thanks.
Aspirant

In box of WNDA3100 High-Performance N600 it is stated "Up to 300 + 300 Mbps"

my question is how I enable 300+300 connection to ap ? ?

genie v.2 connects only to 2.4 or 5 GHz network, meaning max speed 300 Mbps.
In old software version setting "300 Mbps (2,4 + 5 GHz)" was maximum available speed.

In genie v.2 it is impossible to connect 5 GHz network if it has same SSID as 2.4 GHz network, adapter always connects to 2,4 GHz network
Novice

N600nightmare.. Bought this adapter at Currys but the s/n not recognized by Netgear support. My Dell Optiplex 755 computer hangs on installation. I'm using Windows 8.1 so had to download firmware but still can t get the thing to locate the adapter. Disabled firewall and anti virus still nothing. Dell system scan finds no problems with drivers.Searched forums still in the dark.....
Discussion Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Top Contributors
User Kudos Count