× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6100 compatible router

Cjb88
Aspirant

A6100 compatible router

We have an old Netgear router that we believe is just going bad. I bought it about 7 years ago and, while our internet provider is slow, it seems the router is a big part of it as well. We bought the Netgear A6100 usb wifi adapter back in December when there was literally nothing that would make the internet work, including service calls to HP etc. With the adapter, it connects. BUT, I cannot find my package for it and we now need to buy a new router. Do we need to purchase specific models that are compatible with it or can any netgear router work? We are looking for the 5ghz one. I am not a huge techie, but I think there are 2.4 or 5ghz options, and the 5 is better for our needs right now. 

Any help?? Thank you!

-Catherine

Model: A6100|AC600 WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 1 of 6

Re: A6100 compatible router

Any modern router should work. It just spits out wifi that the USB adapter can eat.

No idea what you mean by "cannot find my package".

5 GHz is faster but doesn't stretch as far as 2.4 GHz. Not all wifi clients do 5 GHz.
Message 2 of 6
Cjb88
Aspirant

Thank you!! We don't need a longer range but do need faster speeds. My husband and I both work from home and need that more. Do you mean WiFi clients as in the service provider? By package I just meant the package the adapter came in. I figured there would be info on or in it about any potential compatibility.
Message 3 of 6

@Cjb88 wrote:
Do you mean WiFi clients as in the service provider?

No, I was thinking of tablets, smart phones and other devices that you connect to the wifi.

If you work from home and you use PCs and stuff that you do not move around the place, you could investigate powerline networking. It is more reliable than wifi.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

It has come a long way in recent years. Modern powerline devices support the faster LAN speeds of today's PCs.

Message 4 of 6
Cjb88
Aspirant

Okay, thank you! I'll look into that today. How use a stationary desktop for mine. My husband sometimes uses that but also and iPad and laptop and cell phone. Most often he's doing work on his cell phone or iPad.. they just have tools to help him complete work faster! Thank you so much for your responses!
Message 5 of 6

Powerline systems also come in variants with a wifi access point. That gives you the best of both worlds.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7