× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6100 on Windows 10

sban
Tutor

I did something really idiotic.

I had used the workaround as described by RH/pratyushpks and got my A6100 to work on Win 10. But then by mistake updated the driver from Device Manager! Now the moment I plug in the A6100 everything breaks down (i.e I get the new BSOD screen with 'Your PC ran into a problem...' message followed by Windows repairs options etc). When I unplug the A6100 I can normally use Win 10 again.

My question is how do I uninstall the corrupt driver and follow RH/pratyushpks's workaround again without plugging in the device? I do not have Genie installed.

Ashamedly yours.

Message 26 of 38
RH
Tutor
Tutor

system restore should work if you are uable to uninstall whatever is causing this prob?

Message 27 of 38
mrlerch
Aspirant

Hello.

I would try to completey uninstall and remove the driver and software for the A6100. With the A6100 not plugged in (otherwise you get the system crash, right). Go and right click the Start menu and open your device manager. Then find the Netgear A6100 device under Network adapters.

- Right click on Netgear A6100

- Go to "Driver" tab. My driver says 1026.26.1217.2013. If yours doesn't then 

- Click on Uninstall and uninstall the driver

- If the device is still in the list of Network adapters right click on it again and uninstall it as well.

- reboot your computer

- after your computer is restared follow once more step by step the installation instructions as provided in this forum.

See if this helps and gets rid of your issues so that you can use your A6100 again.

Martin

Message 28 of 38
sban
Tutor

Thanks Martin, but the problem is the Netgear A6100 doesn't show up under Device Manager (or anywhere else) when it's unplugged. I can only see my built in weaker wifi adapter (the Realtek RTL8723BE) and 'Realtek PCI gbe family controller' (which I believe is for LAN). A6100 only shows up when plugged in for about three seconds before the system crashes.

Clipboard01.jpg

Message 29 of 38
mrlerch
Aspirant

Shoot. And as soon as you plug it in then you get the blue screen of death? That's a total bummer. Ok. Just throwing it out there. Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode:

http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

And then plug in the A6100 and try to uninstall everything while in Safe Mode?

Then restart and try to plug the thing in and try to re-install the driver if you don't get the blue screen of death again.

Martin

Message 30 of 38
sban
Tutor

Yes it worked! And that's what I had done last time to remove the bad driver. Thanks a lot Martin!

Message 31 of 38
mrlerch
Aspirant

You are welcome. Glad I could be of help. So, no more fiddling around with other updates. If it works, don't change it 🙂

Message 32 of 38
sban
Tutor

Yes absolutely, lesson learned.

Seems it has also stopped getting disconnected with every restart or when waking up from sleep.

Message 33 of 38
InleRabbit
Aspirant

are they ever going to release an official windows 10 driver for the A6100 ?

im getting sick of having to repair my connection every time i start up the PC.

Message 34 of 38
JamesGL
Master

Hi @InleRabbit,

Check the support site for the driver for Windows 10.

http://support.netgear.com/product/A6100

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 35 of 38
zipdrive
Tutor

Thanks a bunch for the workaround.   I was in Office Depot looking this up on my phone and was reading the first few posts on this and was about to just put it back.   Read the workaround and went ahead and bought it.   I had purcahsed some Etechcity brand on Amazon that did not work... worked great for Win 7 .. still needed them so kept them.  I wonder if there is a generic driver that would have worked for them?  Oh well.. I'm good now.  Shame on M$ and the stupid vendors for not getting on the same page with this b/c Netgear isn't the only one.  It seems like NO ONE has drivers for 10.

Message 36 of 38
zipdrive
Tutor

It should be in the list under that name.   If you go back to 10... try doing what the guy said that posted...it's important that when you pick the driver that you are looking at a double listbox... manufacturer on the left and actual version on the right.

Message 37 of 38
LPFdesign
Aspirant

YES YES YES! thank you so much … i am next to clueless about Windows and my 16yo son now thinks i'm badass 😉 cheers, T

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7