× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6150 speeds not highter then 585 mbits

Jochem86
Aspirant

A6150 speeds not highter then 585 mbits

Hi Support,

Just bought this network adapter because my own laptop is not getting more then 300 mbit down so I bought already a different usb adapter to get 867 mbit, but lost the adapter so I thought I buy from netgear.... as my router is a Nighthawk 7800.  Sitting 2 meters away from my router, still the adapter not goes faster then 585 mbit?! Why is this... another adapter I get the correct speeds. My work latpop also has the full 867 mbit speed. 

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
Jochem86
Aspirant

Re: A6150 speeds not highter then 585 mbits

Just some extra information: I have a Netgear extender that is at 1st floor (through floors) and is getting 900+ mbit connection so I would expect that 2 meters away I should get atleast the max connection speed with the adapter?  When i download i get no more then 300mbit and my internet connection is 600mbit.

I installed the latest drivers, reboot the laptop... is windows 11 btw but should not matter as a other adapter was getting the full speed on my laptop. 

Message 2 of 4

@Jochem86 wrote:

Hi Support,

First, this is not "support".

The official support channels start here:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

This is a user-to-user self-support community, fed by unpaid volunteers who have used these things a lot and have seen all sorts of questions waft by here.

@Jochem86 wrote:

Just bought this network adapter because my own laptop is not getting more then 300 mbit down so I bought already a different usb adapter to get 867 mbit, but lost the adapter so I thought I buy from netgear.... as my router is a Nighthawk 7800. 

Not sure that I understand what is going in here. Are you talking about a wifi connection  from your laptop using a USB adapter? If so, 300 Mbps is pretty good.

The adapter you lost sounds like it breaks the laws of physics.

Just look at the size and prices of the A6150. For £29.99, you won't get the earth.

If you are talking about wifi speeds here, it might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Why is this... another adapter I get the correct speeds. My work latpop also has the full 867 mbit speed. 

Claims of 867 Mbps, the usual way to describe it, hide all sorts of factors. That is a wifi specification. Not something that happens in the real world.

Is your connection slowing down whatever it is you are doing. Or are you just testing speeds with something that may or may not be reliable? 

If it us slowing you down, look for a wired alternative. But even then 867 Mbps is not far off the limits you will get limits with a 1 Gbps Internet service .

One final thing, if you really want to talk abut USB wifi adapters, try using the appropriate bit of this community:

WiFi Adapters - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

WiFi adapters as well as APs, are rated on the PHY rate of the WiFi standard. While speeds can vary based on location (WiFi noise floor and available airtime), a PHY rate of 867Mbps, will often yield a real world throughput of around 600-650Mbps under good conditions, not too far and not too close to the AP.

Speeds can end up lower if multiple clients are connected, even if they are generating very little traffic, especially if there are mixed client types. For example, an 802.11n 5GHz client on the same AP as a 802.11ac client will have a lot more overhead than 2 802.11ac clients on the same radio.

If the PHY rate is low while you are close to the router, as 585Mbps PHY rate would indicate the client using 64QAM rather than 256QAM, then it could indicate other issues. For example, is the adapter on a USB port that is close to a very RF noisy device? Is the USB port in a location where it is surrounded by a lot of metal or other USB plugs where the grip part of the plug is effectively a large RF shield?

The A6150 WiFi adapter is designed to be very small, but due to that design, the core components are all inside of the portion of the plug that inserts into the USB port (providing shielding on all but one side), then the plastic part is essentially there to house the LDS antenna (designed around being very omnidirectional)

Beyond that, the A6150 has full support for 2 stream 802.11ac at 256QAM, 5/6,  GI 400ns, and will not really drop the rate unless it is experiencing many frame re-transmissions.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7