× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6200 installed - results

dru37
Aspirant

A6200 installed - results

I have the R6300 router, and the A6200 adapter installed on a Windows 7 desktop. The R6300 is updated with the latest firmware and located one floor below in my basement and about 50' away. My desktop is the only device connected on the 5G band. Signal strength on the 5G band is fluctuating between 3 and 4 bars. Connection speed is varying and drops as low as 58M and as high as 234M, but seems mostly to stay at 175M. On the 2.4G band, there is a steady 4 bar signal strength with connection speed in the 104-144M range.

Any thoughts on whether this is expected performance? I'm not a network guru, just like having the latest technology. This seems like disappointing performance to me.

Message 1 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

50' a quite distance away. Just because it is new technology the distance get twice, third time better.

5ghz has less than 2.4ghz which is nature of frequency characteristics .

Probably best thing is to reduce the distance by placing center of the house
Message 2 of 13
dru37
Aspirant

I am surprised to hear that 50' is considered to be a long distance for a wireless client-to-router connection. Both the R6300 and the A6200 are marketed using the phrase "ultimate range". Or maybe it's the speed degradation I should be surprised about for what would seem to be a fairly typical wireless client-to-router connection distance for a multi-floor suburban home network.
Message 3 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Going through the walls typically reduces . Best test is to be closer and/or use portable wifi like laptop to survey the wifi performance
Message 4 of 13
Mus1984
Aspirant

Hi man,

I also just bough the Netgear router R6300 and the A6200 adapter. When I installed my adapter, I had the exact same results as you. Meaning, 144 Mbps for the 2.4 GHz and 175 for the 5 GHz frequency. As you were, and probably still are, I was also very disappointed.

Needless to say, I went to bed very disappointed. But today, when I opened my computer, the speed was surprisingly higher: in average stable at 585 Mbps (the whole day) and sometimes it went up to 702 Mbps when downloading a file. What I should mention is that in the morning, we had a power outage. Hence, the only difference before yesterday and today is that the router was rebooted.

SUGGESTED SOLUTION: Reboot your router after installing your adapter. Hopefully, that will solve your problem.

P.S. Just for fun, I tried to test what the gentlemen below recommended. I deactivated the wireless adapter on my laptop and installed the A6200 adapter on it and went right next to my router in the basement. By the way, my desktop is 2 floors up. Apart from the small fluctuation you refereed to (i.e., up to 230 Mbps on the 5 GHz), it did not go higher than that. And anyway, I was able to get that 230 Mbps on the 2nd floor. I thus concluded that the distance and walls did not seem to impact the connection much. At least not enough to solve the problem you refer to.

Cheers,
Mus
Message 5 of 13
groves31
Aspirant

From everything usb http://www.everythingusb.com/netgear-a6200-802.11ac-wifi-usb-adapter-21586.html

While the A6200 is backwards compatible with everything from 2.4Ghz 802.11n to aging 802.11b, there is one issue worth mentioning, the NETGEAR supports only up to two streams so the theoretical limit of this 802.11ac USB adapter is 900Mbps. That's almost double the bandwidth of what USB 2.0 can provide.
Message 6 of 13
csm746
Novice

On the NetGear A6200 page FAQ a new driver software version is discussed but I cannot find it....it still lists the 1.0.0.18 version on the support page. Anyone have any more information?
Message 7 of 13
csm746
Novice

I downloaded the 1.0.0.18 software from the A6200 page and unzipped it. Copied the folder to the desktop and ran the executable setup file with "stand alone" in the filename. This I found installs the driver only and not the Genie app. I have never used or found a use for the Genie app and have encountered few problems with NetGear products which I attribute in part to not using it. Connecting to my R6300, I pulled first 468 mbs on the Windows Network and Sharing Center. I am running Win 7 64 bit on a Dell Latitude E6510 and the wireless security is WPA2 Personal. It appears now that the speed has settled at 526 mbs. I saw higher, but it did not last long. I am 35 to 40 feet from the router with two walls in between. So far so good, I am going to run some speed tests to see what I would pull for speed from my NAS which is a gigabit network device.
Message 8 of 13
csm746
Novice

I should have noted that I am running 1.0.2.36 firmware on the the R6300. Still stable and fast.
Message 9 of 13
csm746
Novice

I believe this has settled into a constant speed of 702 mbps. 702 has been constant since I last posted. I have seen as high as 866 mbps in the same position in my library which again is 40 feet and two walls away. It was funny, I turned the black portion of the antenna horizontal instead of vertical and the speed went up. I have the 5 ghz freq set to channel 157 with WPA2 Personal. I have a 500 meg file which takes one third of the time to tranfer to from my NAS than the previous Intel 5300 AGN 3 antenna adapter running the latest driver. So, at least using the stand-alone setup file to install only the driver has worked here. I was curious to see what this router and adapter would do together, it rocks so far.
Message 10 of 13
soccer0104
Aspirant

what do you do when it says the NETGEAR A6200 WiFi Adapter is not found?
Message 11 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

soccer0104 wrote:
what do you do when it says the NETGEAR A6200 WiFi Adapter is not found?

you have posted new thread here
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=81048

try to keep it on single thread. 🙂
Message 12 of 13
brycehazen
Initiate

I fixed the issue for myself by using windows default wireless manager.
1. Click Windows Key or Start Logo
2. type services.msc and hit enter
3. Locate and start WLAN Auto Config service
4. Go to Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center
5. Manage wireless networks.

Hopes this helps everyone who tired hours trying to fix it themselves like i did.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7