× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6210 5GHz channels

Host2626
Initiate

A6210 5GHz channels

Hello,

I am in Europe, I bought a Samsung S9+ phone, and when I am using it as a hotspot at 5GHz, my Netgear A6210 USB dongle does not see it. It used to work fine at 5 GHz with the Xiaomi Mi Mix I had until a couple of weeks ago.

Another wifi adapter that I have, a no-name 10€ chinese one from Amazon does see the network, but is too unstable to be of any use other than a wifi detector. But it showed me that the S9+ was emitting on channels 149+153, which are US/China channels, the EU ones being 36-144 for 5 GHz. Why it is doing that is another issue, I am trying to figure this out with Samsung support. But I would like to figure out why the A6210 adapter does not see the channels.

I am using the latest drivers, A6210_V1.0.0.39.zip. The Advanced tab in Device Manager has very few settings, and Country/Region/Channel choice is not one of them. In regedit I saw that it has a "CountryRegion" key set at 4. I've blindly tried a few other numbers around this one to no avail. Other countries/recgions could be at +1 or -1, or it could be a binary affair, testing them all will take the rest of my life.

So, do you have a list of CountryRegion codes with their meanings, and which one should I use for China or the US?

Also, how come a chinese 10€ adapter can read all EU/US/CN channels (with default windows drivers to boot) while a high-end-ish Netgear one does not?

Thank you.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 2
Host2626
Initiate

Re: A6210 5GHz channels

I think I managed to solve my problem, at least on the Netgear front.

The 1.0.0.39 drivers have a very primitive interface in Device Manager. I stumbled upon this post by Das1996 who showed what to change and in what registry key to compensate for for dumbed down interface. I changed my CountryRegionABand from 4 to 7 and it started seeing the S9+ emitting at 5GHz.

Posting this in case someone has the same issue.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7