× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 - AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter — 802.11ac Dual Band USB 3.0

djsomers
Aspirant

A6210 - AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter — 802.11ac Dual Band USB 3.0

I am on my 2nd A6210 and the replacement adapter is having the same issues as the original one I purchased. in late September. To explain my issue:

I upgraded to Windows 10 in July. I have a HP Envy laptop and the internal wireless card’s highest speed is only 72 Mbps, but its typical speed only runs anywhere from 20-40 Mbps. I am using Time Warner Cable's modem/router. It is in my office, about 40' from my kitchen where I work on my laptop. The only other devices connected are my Samsung Galaxy S7 and my HP printer. I have TWC's internet service with 300 Mbps.

I have been on the phone to NetGear for hours concerning both adapters and am so frustrated. The 5G connection speed is fantastic, anywhere between 200  - 320 Mbps, in the kitchen. However, the connection keeps dropping. I get messages such as: “Default gateway not available”, “The computer appears to be configured correctly but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding”, and “Error message #1605: Feaure transfer error. This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.” The last message occurs when I troubleshoot with NetGear and try to reinstall or uninstall the application.

We changed the 2.4 and 5G channels and I was told to use the 2.4G network to see if it dropped like the 5G does. I was also told the 2.4 network would still have the high speeds like the 5G, that 2.4 just has a wider range. Using the 2.4 network in the kitchen, speeds typically don't go over 10 Mpbs. I just ran the speed test again and it was 0.84. I disconnected the USB A6210 wireless network and enabled the internal wireless Broadcom 802.11bgn card and ran the speed test again --> 46.75 Mbps.

Does anyone have any idea if the USB A6210 will work with my laptop, or should I try to get my money back? I love the 5G high speed, when the connection holds, but it looks like it won't do it, at least not where I work on my laptop in the kitchen. I don't work in the room where the router is so it doesn't make any difference whether it works in there or not. Does anyone have any suggestions? I cannot continue to literally spend hours working on this. At this point, the NetGear tech I spoke with this morning is going to higher level supervisor support and someone is to call me back.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi djsomers,

The speed still depends on the what the router or the modem provides. If the modem/router can only get 100Mbps from ISP then most likely the adapter can get upto 100Mbps or less depending on the environment.

JamesGL
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi djsomers,

Please continue to work with the support team. Provide feedback on what resolves your issue.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 6
djsomers
Aspirant

I was able to work with "Pete", an Advanced Level supervisor, last Sunday, Nov. 6. It appears he was able to resolve my problem as my adapter has stayed connected without dropping since that time. He explained the problem came from the last Windows 10 Update that affected USB devices such as the A6210 and USB devices from other companies. It also affected some webcams. He was able to uninstall the adapter and all of its files  - it took 2 or 3 attempts - and he reinstalled the adapter. Thanks so much, Pete! I am consistently receiving download speeds of over 300 Mbps.

One other quick question: I anticipate having to find another internet/cable provider with all the negative publicity I have read about Time Warner Cable being bought out and becoming Spectrum. With TWC, I can access speeds of up to 300 Mpbs. If/when the internet speed available to me is decreased, say to 100 Mbps, what speeds should I be able to reach with the A6210? Will it only reach 100-150 Mpbs, or will I still be able to get 300 Mbps?

Message 3 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi djsomers,

The speed still depends on the what the router or the modem provides. If the modem/router can only get 100Mbps from ISP then most likely the adapter can get upto 100Mbps or less depending on the environment.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi djsomers,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 5 of 6
djsomers
Aspirant

Thanks James! Hopefully TWC/Spectrum won't lower their Internet speed. Customers would really get upset if speed was downgraded.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7