× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 USB WiFi adapter: unstable link speed

Dave_Diamond
Aspirant

A6210 USB WiFi adapter: unstable link speed

Hi, on my laptop i have a Netgear A6210 connected to another Netgear product, a Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender, AC2200, EX7300: the wifiband is 5 Ghz.

The Extender is in the room above of the laptop, where A6210 is connected to an USB 3.0 port.

When I connect the adapter to the extender, it instantly connect at 866.5 Mbps, but as soon I start to use the bandwidth (is enough that I browse on internet) the bandwidth falls. Eg, from 866.5 Mbp reach 486, then 522, then again 866.5, then 175, 866.5, then 702 and so on: continuosly drop down to any lower value and go back to 866.5 Mbps, and this instability starts again.

Obviously I also tried to move the adapter, by using the usb cable, around the laptop, in any position, but is not enough.

I thought that the combination of A6210 and EX7300 would assure me a stable and rock solid link (since I heard that both devices rely on the beamforming technology)

I had a look here (despite the fact that the adapter doesn’t suffer disconnections)

https://kb.netgear.com/23352/A6200-A6210-WNDA3100v2-wireless-adapter-intermittently-disconnects

But despite the fact that I am using the last available driver V1.0.0.39, I have fewer options, there is not Minimum Power Consumption setting, eg.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 BIT.

Any hints?

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Diamond
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply. However I totally solved days ago.

I summarize: I connect this adapter using an extension USB cable, because if connected directly to the laptop, it covers the adjacent USB port. And I ensure this adapter on the frame of the laptop by using a big aluminuim paper clip.
Previously, I wasn't aware of the fact that such cable was just an USB 2.0 cable, which didn't support USB3.0, so I bought a certified quality USB 3.0 cable. Then I also tried to switch back to Netgear's official drivers, and I encountered the same issue: link instability and USB 2.0 only. (Furthermore, the Netgear's driver, installs unwanted services and background processes); the I back to the simple Mediatek's driver and this combination (USB 3.0 cable + Mediatek's driver) for me is the right way: in these days instability didn't occurred anymore and I can say that I am satisfied with this product.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Dave_Diamond
Aspirant

Seems that I have partially solved. I uninstalled Netgear's driver and replace it with Mediatek's driver: https://www.mediatek.com/products/broadbandWifi/mt7612u

I say "partially" because the device is less prone to the link instability: now less occurs.

Anyway I discoveres another issue: despite the fact that the device is connected to an USB 3.0 port, by using the USB Device Tree Viewer, I noticed that A6210 only works as High Speed (USB 2.0) instead of Super Speed (USB 3.0), as reported here in another discussion: https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/A6210-operating-High-Speed-USB-2-0/td-p/513394

So I  suspect that the link instability could be related to the fact that the device doesn't work at his full abilities, maybe is limited by USB 2.0, but any other device on my laptop, works as USB 3.0.

So, until that Netgear doesn't solve this issue encountered by many people, I keep this discussion open/unresolved.

Message 2 of 4
Daniel_Rouse
Aspirant

I also have Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 Home Premium and have fixed several issues with the A6210 detecting as USB High Speed, occasional failures to connect after a disconnect, sleep, wake. The post is long but it will help, and it combines multiple solutions in a step by step format. All steps listed, skim past or skip past the ones you already know as this is for the benefit of all user levels.

Important:
1. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THE MEDIATEK DRIVER IN WINDOWS 7. On my Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit system, Windows aborted the Extract All operation with a message box reporting the EXE file was determined to be harmful.
2. Uninstall the Netgear Genie software and then reinstall A6210_V1.0.0.39 Standalone. (Netgear Genie still runs as a hidden task, shown in Task Manager but not in the Windows Taskbar nor the Windows System Tray).

This Device Can Perform Faster Fix, requires Adminstrator rights to Device Manager and Computer Management...
1. Requires Netgear Standalone software has already been installed and the A6210 was detected successfully.
2. DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET if currently connected (failure to do so may cause a BSOD, this occurs with iusb3mon when changing A6210 Device Manager settings while connected).
3. Start Menu, right-click Computer, select Manage.
4. Enter Administrator user credentials (username is automatic, enter the password) when prompted by User Account Control (will not occur if UAC is disabled but then the current user logged in better have Administrator rights).
5. In Computer Management, expand the left pane Services and Applications.
6. Click Services.
7. Services will load into the right pane.
8. Scroll down to the NetgearSwitchUSB service in the right pane.
9. Right-click NetGearSwitchUSB and select Properties.
10. In the General tab, click Stop to stop the service.
11. Set the Startup type to Manual or Disabled.
12. Click OK.
13. Close Computer Management... next is a Device Manager change.
14. Windows Key+ Pause/Break on the keyboard (or Start Menu, Computer, Properties).
15. Click Device Manager on the left side.
16. If logged in as a Standard User, acknowledge the message informing must be logged in as an Administrator user to make changes.
17. In Device Manager, expand Network Adapters.
18. Right-click on NETGEAR A6210 WiFi USB3.0 Adapter.
19. Select Properties.
20. Click Change Settings.
21. Enter Administrator user credentials (username is automatic, enter the password) when prompted by User Account Control.
22. Click the Advanced tab.
23. For Property Max USB Speed, change from USB Auto to USB 3.0 to force USB 3.0 detection in a USB 3.0 port.
24. Click OK.
25. It is normal for the adaptor to disconnect (as seen in the System Tray) and then search again for connections, so the delay is normal.
26. Done. Prove it by logging off and logging back on. If that works, prove it by a full system reboot, then logging back on. The Windows System Tray message nag that This device can perform faster if connected to a USB Superspeed port... should be done and over with.

Test to see if IPv6 is slowing/bottlenecking/stalling the connection after extended use...
1. Disconnnect from the Internet if currently connected (failure to do so may cause a BSOD, this occurs with iusb3mon when changing A6210 Device Manager settings while connected, so it's a good safety even when changing Wireless Adapter settings)
2. Link speed fluctuation may be an IPv6 instability? Disable IPv6 as a diagnostic.
a. Open Network and Sharing Center
b. Select Change Adapter Settings
c. Right-click the Netgear A6210 WiFi USB 3.0 Adaptor
d. Select Properties (note: Administrator user status is required to change Properties as shown by the shield icon)
e. Enter Administrator user credentials (username is automatic, enter the password) when prompted by User Account Control (will not occur if UAC is disabled but then the current user better be an Administrator user)
f. In the Networking tab, unmark the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) checkbox
g. Click OK
h. Close the Network and Sharing Center
i. Try logging off and logging back on.
j. When logged back in, reconnect. No reboot should be necessary.
k. Confirm only an IPv4 address using Command Prompt, IPCONFIG
3. Is the connection any more stable? I occasionally see 866.0 Mbps and sometimes 468.0 Mbps or slower (e.g., 234.0 Mbps) in the Wireless Connection Status, so the router could also be a factor. Did disconnects or connection stalls decrease? That's the most important.

Note: One issue still remains. It's lower severity but high frequency. On my system, after sleep then wakeup, the A6210 is automatically reconnecting to the Wi-fi network even if that setting is unmarked in Windows Network and Sharing Center. The known workaround after I am finished with and don't need an always on connection is Disconnect, then Logoff. Something in the hidden task Netgear A6210 Genie (A6210.EXE *32) is overriding the Windows setting and I don't want auto-connect. I am otherwise not changing the software configuration, Device Manager settings, nor Computer Management settings for the A6210 unless a critical security issue requires another update.

And that's all I have for researching and solving A6210 issues in Windows 7. I have no information for Windows 8, 8.1, nor Windows 10, sorry.

Message 3 of 4
Dave_Diamond
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply. However I totally solved days ago.

I summarize: I connect this adapter using an extension USB cable, because if connected directly to the laptop, it covers the adjacent USB port. And I ensure this adapter on the frame of the laptop by using a big aluminuim paper clip.
Previously, I wasn't aware of the fact that such cable was just an USB 2.0 cable, which didn't support USB3.0, so I bought a certified quality USB 3.0 cable. Then I also tried to switch back to Netgear's official drivers, and I encountered the same issue: link instability and USB 2.0 only. (Furthermore, the Netgear's driver, installs unwanted services and background processes); the I back to the simple Mediatek's driver and this combination (USB 3.0 cable + Mediatek's driver) for me is the right way: in these days instability didn't occurred anymore and I can say that I am satisfied with this product.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7