× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6210 Wireless Adapter Keeps Disconnecting

Myatt94
Follower

A6210 Wireless Adapter Keeps Disconnecting

My A6210 adaptor keeps disconnecting. I am running windows 10, have installed the latest drivers, disabled the "allow windows to turn off adaptor to save power" option and used windows diagnostics to reset the adaptor and yet it still constantly disconnects. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 10
Diggo
Tutor

Re: A6210 Wireless Adapter Keeps Disconnecting

As far as I can tell, this affects a lot of A6210 users (me included) and the cause has not been identified or even acknowledged by Netgear. One of the forum moderaters (JamesGL) asks affected users to jump through a variety of hoops but nothing actually fixes the problem. Hard to guess, but the most likely culprit appears to be poor drivers.

The A6210 contains a Mediatek MT7612U chipset. Some users have tried using Mediatek drivers instead of Netgear's version.

Refer this link

Although some have reported success using the Mediatek drivers, others have failed. The Mediatek drivers didnt work for me.

I'm running Win7 x64 SP1.

I've reset TCPIP stack, flushed DNS cache, removed all existing WiFi network profiles, removed or disbled all unused network devices, cleaned all file caches and temp files, updated USB3 drivers, reverted router to defaults and recreated ISP connection settings and WLAN settings from scratch. Although things sometimes seemed better after doing all this, it was an illusion - the problems still occur.

Note also there is a long (240+ posts) thread discussing issues associated with Windows 10, which contains the same suggested fix as the link above.

Message 2 of 10
Diggo
Tutor

@JamesGL,

Can you (or someone who knows) please provide descriptions (including optimal settings) for each parameter in the Advanced tab of the adapter properties in Windows?

Channel Mode     (Mine is set to 2.4G + 5G) 

EDCCA     (Mine is set to Enable)

iEEE802.11n     (Mine is set to Enable)

Max USB Speed     (Mine is set to USB3)

Multimedia/Gaming Environment    (Mine is set to Disable)

Prefer 5G    (Mine is set to Enable)

Radio On/Off    (Mine is set to Enable)

Roam Tendency    (Mine is set to 1. Off)

Additionally, the driver Revion History for 1.0.0.34 refers to the following as a known issue:

"Always set U2 mode in ETRON & ASMedia USB 3.0 Host control"

I'm using an ASMedia USB controller (with latested firmware)

I cant find any reference to "U2 Mode" and previous queries on this forum seem to remain unanswered

Message 3 of 10
MSea
Aspirant

Forgive hijacking but I have same issues as you as we are W10 users, with latest drivers on adapter, router and with W10 doing robo updates.  Doing "A6210 Wireless Adapter Keeps Disconnecting" searches finds a multitude of hits from W7 upwards using a-z drivers.  I need to search A6210 users using W10 that have no real issues but all i find are the ones that do.

Do ANY of the forum users uses both the A6210 and Windows 10 with no issues on the 5g band?  I would also like to see what is hardware certified but fat chance, no?

I can only add that if I drop rate to 130Mbps, everything is fine!  Once the rate is raised via router to 300Mbps, I'm back on ice with the disconnects. Once disconnected I normally have to manually reconnect unless doing restart or such. Reconnects can take two minutes or seconds.  At the 130Mps all is ready before desktop fully booted.  I have not tried adapter on a second machine but will just to rule out my AsRock motherboard and USB 3.0 ports.  I monitor my connections with inSIDDer for both link quality, 100%, signal strength and to avoid my channel hopping neighbors.

I post here as tech support are still much at the script level after two calls..LOL would U want their job?

Message 4 of 10
Diggo
Tutor

Ditto here, but on Win 7 x64.

This morning i couldnt get the A6210 to connect at all, no matter what I did. Always "Limited access", whether using DHCP or static IP. When using static IP, the config never saves the gateway IP (ie save settings>re-open dialog>gateway IP is blank).

I've reverted to an old WiFi adapter which works perfectly every time. It's slower of course, but at least it works...I simply dont have time to continually troubleshoot this piece of junk from Netgear/Mediatek.

Message 5 of 10
MSea
Aspirant

..and today, three disconnects using steam so back to best buy; which these are on sale. no thanks...i'm done beta testing $50 usb adapters.  good luck all.

Message 6 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Diggo,

The default should be followed on the settings you have provided. Some are optional to configure. The MAX speed is set to 2.0 by default which you can configure to be set to 3.0.

The "Always set U2 mode in ETRON & ASMedia USB 3.0 Host control" is still a known issue as indicated on the release notes.

Message 7 of 10
Diggo
Tutor

Hi James

Thanks for responding

I understand U2 Mode is an issue - that wasnt my question. My question was "what is U2 Mode?"

Is it specific to Windows 10?  (I'm using Win 7) and is that the reason I cant find the setting parameter?

Is it an abbreviation of USB 2.0?

Message 8 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Diggo,

Let me check on it and I will get back to you.

Message 9 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Diggo,

You are correct that U2 mode is abbreviation fro USB 2.0. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7