× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6210 & Windows 10 - Does driver 1.0.0.34 fix all the problems I have read about ?

gbjbasdw
Aspirant

A6210 & Windows 10 - Does driver 1.0.0.34 fix all the problems I have read about ?

My time is too short to mess around with different drivers/solutions.

One question - does the A6210 adapter work with Windows 10 32/64 bit PROPERLY using driver version 1.0.0.34 ?

I'm not interested in workarounds, updating chipsets etc.

Thanks

Steve

Message 1 of 19
JamesGL
Master

Re: A6210 & Windows 10 - Does driver 1.0.0.34 fix all the problems I have read about ?

Hi gbjbasdw,

I've been using an A6210 adapter and it works fine on my Windows 10. May I know what issue do you have with the adapter?

Message 2 of 19
gbjbasdw
Aspirant

Re: A6210 & Windows 10 - Does driver 1.0.0.34 fix all the problems I have read about ?

I don't have any issues with the adapter becuase I don't have one.

I am trying to establish if I will have any of the problems others seem to have encountered BEFORE I buy one.

Message 3 of 19
MentallyRich
Aspirant

Sadly no. My connection after a while will drop, which is most annoying when playing a game online.

To get around this I uninstalled the netgear driver and just used the one windows 10 finds for it but because that isn't the proper driver it doesn't take advantage of the features of the adapter. I went from about 110mbps to about 10mbps with this driver and my home connection is 200mbps. The annoying thing is I bought this adapter so I could get the best speeds. I'm presuming this is simply a driver issue and they aren't bothering to fix it.

Definitely don't buy this until they fix the connection drop issue as it's extremely annoying!

Message 4 of 19
JamesGL
Master

Hi MentallyRich,

Did you use the standalone driver or the driver with genie? If it is the driver with genie, please try the standalone driver.

Message 5 of 19
MentallyRich
Aspirant

I reinstalled the standalone driver yesterday and so far my connection hasn't dropped. I did notice though that as part of a windows update this month they have improved network connectivity so maybe it was a problem with windows 10 and not the netgear driver.

Message 6 of 19
Plattfish
Guide

The problems with the A6210 and A6200 Windows 10, regarding them constantly dropping connections and requiring a full disconnect/reconnect is NOT fixed. I repeat, this problem has NOT been resolved, so please consider this before purchasing. I hate to have to crusade in these threads, but the problem has persisted since Windows 10 release with NO fixes from Netgear, other than suggestions to reinstall drivers, which DOES NOT FIX THE ISSUE.

Just making sure people are aware that this problem HAS NOT BEEN FIXED YET!!!

Message 7 of 19
DavidR1234
Aspirant

I have un-installed as per the instructions and reinstalled without the antivirus being on.  I have used the genie i haven't used the genie. I connect for about 5 mins and then I get the exclamation mark and no available Internet which i know is pants because as soon as the net gear drops and i activate the onboard cr*ppy wifi I have a signal and am able to work.  As i said in my earlier report this morning something is seriously wrong.  It worked on 8.1. It worked briefly in win 10.  The MicroSpark did something in February which killed this antennae. I also note that the current problems stem from last Friday.   Interestingly both dates were the 6th of the month when MS does the updates. I am using standalone for now but i don't know how long that will last as i have now connected to my PC directly into a USB2 port.  Another thing just in case this might help is my antennae was connected to the stand.  Now i have uncoupled it it seems to have worked.  But I also had this items directly connected in a usb3 extender which is powered. Could it be that the bases are faulty or people are using usb 3 extenders?  

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 8 of 19
DavidR1234
Aspirant

OK i have done a test. If you plug teh antennae directly into the usb3 extender no go.  the antenna isnt recognised.   If i take if out and reinput to my uSB 2 connection it works.

SO something has changed to not make this work with a usb 3 extender in one of teh recent updates as it worked for me perfectly in January through to the 6th February, then from mid February to last Friday. 

I dont think that the extender is broken as everything else attached to is works fine.

Message 9 of 19
DavidR1234
Aspirant

OK did a further experiment. I connected the antennae to the a usb 2 extender dn exactly teh same issue.  Yellow exclamation mark then no internet but atheros confirms it is still there. I disconnect and then reconnect to my USB2 port and we are working again. what has Netgear done to the hardware to make this happen?

Message 10 of 19
DavidR1234
Aspirant

And then we lost it for half an hour. 

Message 11 of 19
DavidR1234
Aspirant

Sorry forgot to add that windows updates kicked in again.Smiley Mad

Message 12 of 19
DavidR1234
Aspirant

I can confirm that I can now no longer access teh internet using wifi either on atheros or netgear.  literally after i posted teh last message that was it.  I have resorted to using the nextwork plug in order to write this post.  either this crappy piece of junk caused the issue or Windows 10 did.  I can say though that the antennae appears to be dead as a preverbial dodo!

Message 13 of 19
Dootchie
Guide

That sucks. I was going to go get this tomorrow. Sad
Message 14 of 19
DavidR1234
Aspirant

OK I gave up in teh end and connected to my network cable.

Then i found something very insteresting on this website.

I read that the chip insde the antennae is actaulay not a net gear chip. it is a MediaTek, Inc.chip.  From here I was directed to teh media tek website to download the driver IS_Setup_ICS_011916_1.5.39.173.exe.  This is detailed within the community here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/Windows-10-A6100-A6200-A6210-Installation-Heads-Up/td...

The driver is here:

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/usb/

I have uploade the driver to my PC and unhooked the cable and touch wood it has worked OK since ysterday evening until now. As i have a NAS the previous solution was not goung to work as iti is networked via cable. I would have had to get a gigbyte box to add extra items to my routers sender to make this work. 

I will update on my progress with this driver.  if it is pap then i will ditch the whole thing and have a go at the good friend who promised me Netgear was a very good make because Sky Broadband use them.

Message 15 of 19
OldmanRick
Aspirant

I had to revert back to windows 7 professional. That was the only way to get the A6210 with update 1.0.0.34 to work. After trying everything, it appears to be a windows 10 problem rather than a netgear problem in my humble opinon..

Message 16 of 19
Plattfish
Guide

Then Netgear shouldn't advertise their products as being compatable with Windows 10. That's literally false advertising. Windows 10 works just fine for me in EVERY regard except my crummy 6200, so I'm not inclined to have much sympathy for Netgear at this point.

Message 17 of 19
Dootchie
Guide

I ended up buying the TP-LINK AC1900 and it works perfect. Sad that I couldn't buy a netgear product. I wanted to keep my network all the same brand. Short you lost a sale netgear
Message 18 of 19
DavidR1234
Aspirant

Touchwood so far no issues with the driver above in win 10.  I'll give it a month to see if the updates muckit up again.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7