× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 cannot create wireless hotspot!!!

henry_t1
Tutor

A6210 cannot create wireless hotspot!!!

I have created numerous hotspots with other usb adapters.  Windows 7 has a built in functionality of allowing wireless network adapters to create hotspots to share internet.  This can be done directly through the windows elevated command prompt, or using a 3rd party software that has a nicer UI such as Connectify.

Here is a basic tutorial about creating a hotspot: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-WiFi-Hotspot-Using-the-Command-Prompt

However, with the A6210, hotspots cannot be created at all.  Only an error message is shown about "microsoft hosted network could not be started".

I have tried every driver on the netgear website, but none work.  Please investigate this issue as it is a very very basic function of a usb adapter.

Message 1 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi henry_t1,

Can you check this post if you are referring to Adhoc.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/Cannot-Create-Hosted-Network-Ad-Hoc-with-A6210-Adapte...

Message 2 of 10
henry_t1
Tutor

I am not talking about Adhoc mode.  I am talking about creating hotspot in "infrastructure" mode.  This is done by utilizing the built in API in windows 7, 8 and 10 to create a hotspot.  The Last 4 (and only versions) of the netgear 6210 drivers, do no support it.  For such a basic funtionality of a wifi adapter to be able to broadcast a wifi signal, it is apalling of why it is not supported.

Message 3 of 10
henry_t1
Tutor

You know, as a side note, I have had nothing but huge headaches with Netgear products after trying them out.

I bought two of these A6210 adapters off Amazon.com on the "netgear" product page a while back.  The description page was posted as a "retail" product.

When I finally got the products, they suspiciously came in two brown boxes, no official packaging, just pink bubble wrapping in each of them.  I tried the products briefly at the time, and they connected to wifi fine, so I didn't think too much about it.  A few weeks later, after setting up the internet at my place, I wanted to use different computers around the home as mini hotspots to expand the range of my wifi network.  Of course, with the issues that these adapters had, it was impossible.  Their current driver (as well as 3 drivers before it) did not support creating a hotspot, and would just fail to do so each time.  Searching day after day for any online resource to fix this issue come as a waste of time.

I eventually wanted to contact netgear directly to help them troubleshoot the issue.  On their support page, it asked me for the serial number on the devices.  When I looked at the side of my A6210 adapters, I noticed that right under the barcode, the serial number had been blacked out with a permanent marker.  I talked to netgear about this, but they said the products without a serial number are not retail products and therefore they didn't have to help me.  Support and service were only for people with a valid serial number.  By the time I contacted Amazon about the issue, it was well past the 30 day return period, and I was done there too.  I have no idea why cheap "non retail" netgear products are being circulated around when netgear is suppose to offer a proper warranty and support for their products, but that was just how it is.  I continue to question whether Netgear might be purposely scheming this type of business model just to cut back money on their support.

Now, posting on the forum, I get a response about "adhoc" mode, which is not even remotely related to what I had originally posted.  And thus, generic and unrelated answers would give off the "appearance" of trying to be helpful, but not really doing so.  I am under the suspicion that Netgear is not even planning to give real support.  Perhaps, they DON'T plan to forward this information to their driver development team, and thus NO NEW DRIVER will ever be developed for the device.  Because after all, that would COST MONEY.

The issue is simple.  A new driver needs to be developed for infrastructure mode.  Your current driver even LIES  directly to the users face.  The "netsh wlan show drivers" command in the cmd prompt returns a "Hosted network supported :Yes" which is a lie.  You purposely programmed your drivers to return "yes" but failed to provide drivers that support the "hosted network".  This is blatant false advertisement and shady business practice in general.

At this point, I would just advise others to be extra careful when dealing with Netgear products.  If you do choose to purchase one, make sure that everything is in complete working order, and that all documentation and serial numbers are present.  Because, if there is anything that even slightly bothers you, you should return the product immediately and get a different product.  Netgear seems quick to try to strip away your warranty even though I could provide all receipts and invoices about my purchases.  Netgear also has support that fails to understand the basic difference between adhoc mode and infrastructure mode, and just answers with a generic "check another person's post" instead of addressing the issue.  Yet, this is the type of person working in "support"?  I assume that support representatives of a tech company SHOULD have SOME DETAILED knowledge of the tech their company is offering instead of just basic knowledge that everyone else knows.  Because after all, anyone else can type "check another person's post".

Message 4 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi henry_t1,

I apologize for that one as I thought you are referring to an Adhoc connection. You may post your suggestion in our Idea Exchange board as feature request for the adapter.

Message 5 of 10
Leolas123
Initiate

Hello i have found a solution on W10 1 years.

mediatek  5.1.16.0 Work 100 % in HotSpot . But with the last driver not .

I share you my driver that is not digitally signet .  

http://uplea.com/dl/BF7CB35DDD0BAC4 

To install it you become disable signature verification on w10 :

Click Start the Start menu. and Select the option " paramêtres ".
Click Update and security.
Click Recovery .
Click Restart Now under Startup Advanced .
Click Troubleshooting .
Click avancees of options.
Click paramêtres .
Click Restart.
The display of the boot parameters , press 7 or F7 pour Disable Compulsory check of driver signatures.

sent me an email if you need help or drivers has soon : adri.f31@gmail.com

Message 6 of 10
nescogear
Aspirant

I've been to hell and back. Tried every single option and "fix" on 3 fresh Windows 10 installation.

Only to conclude that...

Hotspot can not be created with my shiny new A6210 on the fully updated Windows 10 Pro machine.

I've bought Netgear A6210 for the specific purpose of connecting directly to my Tablet, using fast 802.11ac connection.

And now my shiny new A6210 just sits there. Occasionally connecting to my router via slow 802.11n... just for the heck of it. (My router does not support ac wifi.)

Netgear this is appaling support.

-- 

yours trully, both sad and angry customer

Message 7 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi all,

I have checked this with the team and this issue is with windows and not with NETGEAR. Please check the link below.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-turn-your-windows-10-pc-wireless-hotspot

Message 8 of 10
realdead_man
Apprentice

James, that is B.S.  Hareware need to conform to windows, not the other way around.

Yes, Windows version 16XX did something to the Wlan stack, but EVERY other card seems to work find.   WHY does only Netgear not work?

<Because of the crap drivers, install program, and Genie stink> 

Tired of waiting for updates that don't work anyway.

I think TEN (10) MONTHS was a reasonable time to wait for a fix, RIGHT?

Never AGAIN will I BUY NETGEAR.

I purchased an ASUS USB ac53 nano.

(realtek chipset)

WORKS PERFECTLY, all windows versions, all modes!

$40USD

Message 9 of 10
Amit223
Aspirant

I figured how to get the A6210 to work with Windows 10 latest build. It is to install the old driver.

First you will need to temporarily disable driver signature validation. Instructions on doing that can be found http://windowsreport.com/driver-signature-enforcement-windows-10/

Once you have temporarily disabled the driver validation. Then go to install the driver from disk. If you upgraded the old folder should be still there called Windows.old. Go to the driver folder under Windows and you will be able to install the driver.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7