× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6210 connection speed is poor

dbnumberiv
Aspirant

A6210 connection speed is poor

I have an older Nighthawk (2013) and my desktop is 15 ft from it, and it would not be great to run a cable from room to another. I bought a Netgear A6210 WiFi USB adapter. Online it says that it can have a connection speed up around 300mbps (or more), and my download connection currently is 200 mbps second. My phone can speed test at 200, but my PC is getting 75 mbps give or take 3. I do no know what the connection issue it. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the genie software and the drivers. There is no barrier blocking the signal. I am at a loss as to why my connection on my PC is bad. Any help would be appreciated. 

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: A6210 connection speed is poor

@dbnumberiv wrote:

I have an older Nighthawk (2013) and my desktop is 15 ft from it, and it would not be great to run a cable from room to another. I bought a Netgear A6210 WiFi USB adapter. Online it says that it can have a connection speed up around 300mbps (or more), and my download connection currently is 200 mbps second. My phone can speed test at 200, but my PC is getting 75 mbps give or take 3. I do no know what the connection issue it. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the genie software and the drivers. There is no barrier blocking the signal. I am at a loss as to why my connection on my PC is bad. Any help would be appreciated. 

1. What model router and firmware are you using? You just say nighthawk. Please elaborate.

2. What band are you testing with? If you're on the 2.4ghz band, that speeds probably accurate. 5ghz has higher throughput and should be able to do more but you need to be testing on that band.

3. The stated connection speeds aren't realistic speeds. They're simply link speeds that windows reports. They aren't the actual throughput speeds. 

Message 2 of 6
dbnumberiv
Aspirant

Router: Nighthawk R7000

Firmware: V1.0.9.18_1.2.27

Testing on 5ghz 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

1. Tried doing a scan and seeing if there's any interference on the wifi bands you're on?

2. Change the wifi channels?

3. Reboot the router

4. Update the firmware on the router? Its 7 versions out of date. Some people have issues witht the newest version but not all. Its worth doing an update (over ethernet) and then resetting the router and starting fresh. 

Message 4 of 6
dbnumberiv
Aspirant

changing the channel had no effect, and I am not getting any notifications to update the firmware from the network interface.

I will do the other two later when i have a moment to do them.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Manually download the FW file and use IE11 or FF to send the FW file to the EX. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7