× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 keeps disconnecting

Reik1
Aspirant

A6210 keeps disconnecting

Hello, I bought the A6210 WiFi USB adapter adapter some time ago (a couple of months) and at first I wasn't having any problems but soon after it keeps disconnecting from my computer. In a day sometimes it won't disconnect at all and others about a dozen times. I have installed the driver and reinstalled it multipule times. I have tries different usb ports and nothing. It is at the point were im just expecting disconnections.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Reik1

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

May I know the operating system of your computer? 

Was there any updates/changes on your computer prior the issue? 

What happen if it disconnects? Do you need to unplug and replug the adapter? Or it will just reconnect to the network? 

You may try performing the troubleshooting steps here:  https://kb.netgear.com/23352/

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 20
acristo
Aspirant

Hi there, the same issue at my end. 

I see many people reporting this issue but noone is willing to follow your suggestions. Let me work together with you to sort this out once and for all. 

1. Router -> TP-LINK Archer C6 WIFI AC1200
I think it has latest drivers, but I'll double check. On the other hand, none of the other devices I use (couple of laptops or mobile phones) disconnect from the network. Only A6210 keeps unplugging - when it happens I hear it being unplugged... like I'd physically remove the connector out of USB 3.0 port. This could be potentialy USB 3.0 Power management feature. 

2. Latest drivers applied (1.0.0.39)

3. The guide is obsolete as there is no such option in the latest drivers. That could be OS thing as well. You're clearly using Windows 7 as an example while people are using Windows 10 for years now.

Extra options:

I've just forced 5Ghz only mode, USB 3.0 only mode in advanced settings. 

In Windows10 Power Options, I've already had Wireles Adapter Setting, Power Saving Mode set to Maximum Performance - despite that the connection was dropped for me 10 minutes ago.

What I've changed in that section just now, is USB settings, USB selective suspend setting. It was set to Enabled and I've just switched that to Disabled state. 

I'll observe if anything changed as a result of my actions. Definitely be back with the feedback. Please, don't mark this topic as resolved untill you hear back from me.

Message 3 of 20
acristo
Aspirant

Went ahead to also disable NetgearSwitchUSB service. I guess this one is only working when you have the USB setting (in Device Manager / Wifi Properties / Advanced) set to Automatic anyway, so once I've set the setting to only be 3.0, the service wouldn't be doing anything anyway.

Message 4 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @acristo

Thank you for sharing all this information. I'll wait for your update.

How often does the connection drop? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 5 of 20
Reik1
Aspirant

Hello,

My operating system is windows 10. There have been multipule updates to the OS since so I can't really pin it down. The device itself disconnects from the PC, Saying that it isnt recognized only for it to connect moments later. Sometimes I must remove it from the USB port and plug it in again for it to be recognized.

Message 6 of 20
acristo
Aspirant

@Blanca_O It may happen couple times a day and the other day you wouldn't notice anything wrong. I guess it is down to how much I use my PC in given day. Let's say on average you will have 1 disconnect per day.

@Reik1 I highly recommend you to follow what I've described around USB settings. Set it to 3.0 only for now (in device manager) or completely disable mentioned windows service. Both of these should have positive result when it comes to device plug/unplug scenario.

Message 7 of 20
acristo
Aspirant

There is one more thing I've noticed after applying mentioned changes...

1) Before the changes, when I started my PC the card would connect to a wi-fi for a brief moment, only to disconnect and then connect again - after that it would stay connected.

2) After the change there is no disconnect. Once it connects it stays connected.  

Message 8 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

@Reik1 - Please follow acristo's recommendation and let us know of the result. 

@acristo - Let us observe the connection for few more days. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Reik1 and @acristo,

How did it go? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 20
Reik1
Aspirant

I dont quite understand what @acristo means by (I guess this one is only working when you have the USB setting (in Device Manager / Wifi Properties / Advanced) what device is this setting on?

Message 11 of 20
acristo
Aspirant

@Reik1 Follow the guide -> https://kb.netgear.com/23352/A6200-A6210-WNDA3100v2-wireless-adapter-intermittently-disconnects
There is a screenhot with Advanced Tab and properties for your USB WifiDongle. In my case the list is quite different than the one on the screenshot and one of them is names "USB Settings" if I am not mistaken. 

@Blanca_O Haven't used that PC for longer periods of time in last days - can't really tel yet. On top of that it stopped booting yesterday - not sure if nearby thunderstorm is anyhow connected with this new issue 😕 

Message 12 of 20
acristo
Aspirant

My PC is up and running again and I haven't noticed any WiFi disconnects up to this point. I'll post an update in this thread as soon as I get any. 

Best regards,

Adrian

Message 13 of 20
Reik1
Aspirant

After doing what you said @Blanca_O and @acristo but I still dissconnect after a while of using it.

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 14 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

HI @Reik1

Our support team is looking into this issue and would like to work with you. Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 15 of 20
kahmi
Aspirant

Hi, I have exactly the same problems as @Reik1, I have 2 Netgear A6210 and bought them 2 years ago and they always had some disconnections issues (as a quick research on the forum shows it's common on this model) but it's gotten worse the last few weeks and it disconnects a few times a day but as @Reik1  said it's completely random and sometimes it's fine for hours and others it disconnects every 30min.

I tried the windows drivers, the latest netgear drivers, I also had the issue with older drivers but it's always the same problem. I also changed my pc last week and hoped it would be some kind of problem with my old platform (intel) and install of windows 10 but now I have an AMD cpu on an AM4 motherboard with a fresh install of windows 10 and still the exact same problem

It's a shame because when it works, it works really well but now I just stopped using them and I'm on a much slower dongle from another brand with which I have no problems

Message 16 of 20
PrOnTeZc
Tutor

The issue still has not been fixed... 

Message 17 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @PrOnTeZc

What is the current 5GHz channel set? Please try changing the 5GHz channel. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/5GHz-network-disconnects-randomly-and-after-it-does-I...

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 18 of 20
thebangsauce
Initiate

@Reik1 

A little late to the party but I created an account just to see if this helps you because this took me so long to figure out.

Open your services menu

Find NetgearSwitchUSB (netgear driver install, i actually had to install the latest netgear driver to get this to show) or RunSwUSB (default windows driver install some seem to have reported)

Right click and click Stop

Right click and select Properties

Under Startup Type select Disabled

This service won't be on next time you start your computer

This took me literal years to figure out. When I moved I decided to give it another go. Apparently it's trying to flip between USB 2.0 and 3.0 due to some unknown circumstance. Been working for me since I did this. Good luck.

Message 19 of 20
mihai0vi
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem described here.

@thebangsauce, I will try your suggestion an let you know if it's working for me.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7