× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6210 not supported with Windows 8.1

Soonerdb
Follower

A6210 not supported with Windows 8.1

After several times being hung up on, including while waiting to speak to a supervisor, this is what I've been told.

Netgear hardware: R8000 router, E7000 range extender, A6210 wireless adapter

I purchased an A6210 6 weeks ago to run on my Windows 8.1 desktop and have had multiple problems - connecting to a R8000 router, when I try to use 5G, the adapter disconnects and does not find any networks until I reboot my system. 2G seemed to be ok most of the time, but throughput would suffer greatly any time I tried to connect 5G and move back to 2G - wouldn't recover till I booted.

So, I filed a support case (25255972) and received instructions on uninstall/install of drivers and device - even though I was already running the current drivers. Did this - sort of - the install would never complete. So, I called support and as soon as I mentioned I was running 8.1, I was told it was a problem with my machine(that they had many people with the same problem with both Windows 8 and 8.1) and "we" would have to change configuration settings - but ONLY if I signed up for a paid support package.

Anyone else having the same issues? Maybe another vendor is in order if this is the treatment good customers get.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
puffidredz
Aspirant

Re: A6210 not supported with Windows 8.1

Oh and forgot to mention, I left the adapter plugged in the entire time during the Windows reinstall, then installed the standalone driver.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Message 2 of 9
puffidredz
Aspirant

I thought that too at first because I was just getting a red x after I installed it, for hours I tried lots of things to get it to work but nothing ever did. So as a last resort, I just wiped Windows 8.1 and started from scratch. Right after Windows was done installing, before I installed anything else, I installed the 1.0.0.30 driver and then it started working. Go fig. I never did find out what was causing it not to work, but the a6210 does indeed work with 8.1. It's just stubborn. Hated scrapping Windows though but I had to get the adapter working because I may be moving somewhere where I won't have a hardline to the router.
Message 3 of 9
puffidredz
Aspirant

Oh and forgot to mention, I left the adapter plugged in the entire time during the Windows reinstall, then installed the standalone driver.
Message 4 of 9
xDredgex
Novice

puffidredz wrote:
the a6210 does indeed work with 8.1

I had my work Lenovo T440p replaced recently, it's 8.1 Enterprise, 64-Bit. It has an Intel 7260, which is N. My 6210 was just sitting around so why not. Standard install, NETGEAR drivers, no issues.
Message 5 of 9
puffidredz
Aspirant

Ok, after spending all day with this literally, I've come to the conclusion that altho it does work with 8.1, it is unstable. Even after a fresh install with nothing but windows, it randomly vanishes after a reboot and I have to unplug and replug it. Annoying. O well, Windows 10 comes out in a few weeks, maybe it will have better results.
Message 6 of 9
puffidredz
Aspirant

Annnnd after reinstalling all windows updates, the adapter no longer works at all ... Again. Yea this thing is not stable in 8.1 at all. It works fine as long as u don't update Windows, which is pointless
Message 7 of 9
Dustrega
Star

So, ultimately, why do you keep the post marked as a solution when it doesn't work?

Message 8 of 9
TheEther
Guru

I think it's impossible to unmark a solution.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7