× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A7000 Causing Blue Screen on Windows 10

scoorat
Follower

A7000 Causing Blue Screen on Windows 10

So I'm sure we're all well aware of the A7000's brilliant disconnection/reconnection usb switching issues. I was able to get past this problem by disabling the usb switching tool that gets installed with the netgear genie, rather easy fix. Has not disconnected randomly once since the fix. A new problem has come up, though. Now around every 30-40 minutes, windows 10 will crash with an "unexpected kernel mode trap" error. I did some research and found that some people have the same problem, but I have yet to find a solution. Please help, these crashes are driving me insane. what is going on. Seems to happen especially when it starts to work harder? Tried installing a game yesterday and stopped trying after a third crash in a row. I know its going to crash again when I try it. Using software version 1.0.0.15

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: A7000 Causing Blue Screen on Windows 10

Hi @scoorat

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Does issue occur if adapter is connected to 2.4GHz network? 5GHz network? or both band? 

What do you do if issue re-occur? Do you need to unplug and replug the adapter? Does restarting the computer temporarily fix the issue? 

Please try to plug the adapter to different USB port. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 15
Ziarre
Initiate

I’m having this same issue. BSOD with ntoskrnl.exe error involving A7000.sys and I have the dump files to prove it. Please help. I will have to use another adapter if I can’t resolve this.
Message 3 of 15
Algren
Initiate

I also have this adapter and it will blue screen any PC I use it with. DMP file points to the driver crashing each time. It worked for a few months before and now it crashes the entire PC every 20 min or so.
Message 4 of 15
Jason21Smith
Initiate

I am having the same problem. My computer blue screens and says the Kernal Error... I am using 5Ghz and I have unplugged and replaced it multiple times. What happens is it blue screens then auto restarts your computer... then it is fine for a little bit but then blue screens again. I will try plugging it into a different port.
Message 5 of 15
CaesarOfPizza
Initiate

Is there a resolution for this? This is still happening with my A7000 and is a huge problem. 

Message 6 of 15
_eka_
Initiate

Same here, please netgear step up.

Message 7 of 15
CaesarOfPizza
Initiate

I think I may have found a solution...I had my A7000 plugged into a USB 3.0 slot in the front of my case. I plugged it into a USB port on the motherboard in the back. Haven’t had the blue screen since. I also disabled the USB switching service and haven’t had any dropped coverage either.
Message 8 of 15
njweb
Luminary

@CaesarOfPizza wrote:
I think I may have found a solution...I had my A7000 plugged into a USB 3.0 slot in the front of my case. I plugged it into a USB port on the motherboard in the back. Haven’t had the blue screen since. I also disabled the USB switching service and haven’t had any dropped coverage either.

I have the Netgear A7000 USB network adater with the 'latest' drivers (2017 are the latest....) - 'Software Version 1.0.0.15.'

When I use the A7000 on a 16GB 2016/2017 Acer Predator laptop (G5-793-72AU), it works fine!

When I use the A7000 on a 16GB 2020 Samsung Galaxy Flex laptop, connected via a Xaosun USB-C to USB-A adapter (since the laptop has no USB-A ports) and I want to restart the laptop, the laptop hangs on 'restarting' (Windows) until I unplug the A7000 from the USB port, but then I get a stop code Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) - "Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap".

Can Netgear support please help!

This adapter is still being sold actively and not cheap, so it should be supported by Netgear. The drivers (latest ones are 4 years old) appears to have issues given how many people get BSOD errors with it.

Message 9 of 15
njweb
Luminary

@njweb wrote:

@CaesarOfPizza wrote:

I have the Netgear A7000 USB network adater with the 'latest' drivers (2017 are the latest....) - 'Software Version 1.0.0.15.'

When I use the A7000 on a 16GB 2016/2017 Acer Predator laptop (G5-793-72AU), it works fine!

When I use the A7000 on a 16GB 2020 Samsung Galaxy Flex laptop, connected via a Xaosun USB-C to USB-A adapter (since the laptop has no USB-A ports) and I want to restart the laptop, the laptop hangs on 'restarting' (Windows) until I unplug the A7000 from the USB port, but then I get a stop code Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) - "Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap".

Can Netgear support please help!

This adapter is still being sold actively and not cheap, so it should be supported by Netgear. The drivers (latest ones are 4 years old) appears to have issues given how many people get BSOD errors with it.

PS: When I disable the switching service (RunSwUSB), speeds drop dramatically, so for me this is NOT a fix.

This driver was last updated in 2017! 4 years ago. 😞

Given all the people having issues (many Netgear Community threads about these A7000 issues and Youtube has lots of owners with issues commenting under the videos for this issue) AND that this adapter is still actively sold everywhere, Netgear needs to fix this.

People have had issues with one or more of the following since 2017: disconnecting, low speeds and BSOD.

Message 10 of 15
_eka_
Initiate

Same thought here... it's a very expensive adapter for having it laying around.

What I did is use it in my MacBook Pro because there is a 3rd party driver that Makes it WORK! imagine that Netgear can't keep their product updated. a shame.

Here you can see the one that makes the adapter work on MacOS Big Sur

https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Big-Sur-Adapter

Message 11 of 15
Aryre
Aspirant

Over for the last 5 months I’ve had a blue screen every 30-50 minutes with windows 10 and "unexpected kernel mode trap" error. Paid a IT technician $99 to look at my pc and they couldn’t find any issues. Two months later took it to another IT technician and paid $158 to be told that some external device was crashing over and over causing the blue screen. Then I googled A7000 and found this thread. Removed the device and the pc hasn’t crashed once for a week. I was really close to buying a new pc as I was about to lose my sanity not knowing what the issue was.

This device isn’t cheap and for people who are not IT savvy like me they might not what’s causing the issue. NETGEAR needs to fix this issue or stop selling it like others have pointed out. I’ve paid close to $400 for the technicians and the device only to throw it in the bin. 

Message 12 of 15
Coltvw
Aspirant

I’m having similar results plugging it in the back of the pc as well
Message 13 of 15
laudavis
Aspirant

I'm so pissed! This is what was causing my crashes in Windows 10.

I replaced my RAM, I went through meticulously with my drivers, and then I wipe my harddrive and as I'm reinstalling everything I get it reinstalled and it immediately crashed my Windows 10 again. 

That is an insane issue to not already have a fix for. Checking on getting another option. 

Message 14 of 15
Onionbelly
Aspirant

Try going into your router configuration and disable Band Steering under WLAN settings (if it's already disabled, discard this message), so you get two separate SSIDs for your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks.

Rename your 5Ghz SSID so you can easily identify your network in windows, then connect to your 5Ghz network and check if the issue persists. This seems to have fixed the BSOD issue for me.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7