× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A7000 Dongle issues?

Reecey
Tutor

A7000 Dongle issues?

I bought this adapter about a month ago but I’m having nothing but problems first I had to use the version.10 drivers because the latest.15 won’t connect to my ex800 extenders without continues shutting the adapter down to connect second I went down the .11 drivers a bit better with the ex8000 but I then found this had serious connection issues one it’s very slow using the web browser also disconnects regularly so I had to use the initial release drivers .10 which it does work a lot better but now I have found using heavy loading 5ghz downloading on a large file it will shut the adapter down if it hits high speeds like 30 - 40MiB/s how can I fix these issues or are at least NETGEAR attempting to correct these issues in a new update. The latest.15 version drivers are the worst out the three available.

I’m using windows 8.1 on a 309/50mbps fttx connection with the standalone drivers the package drivers are even worse to use bearing in mind this adapter is not cheap to buy and you expect the best from nighthawk products also this is what it’s made for heavy high end 5ghz usage is it not? Doesn’t seem like it’s capable of what it’s meant to do
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: A7000 Dongle issues?

I don't have this adapter but I've read that a clean install helps. Here's a video on youtube that walks through the install. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtCGyTxXzU4

Message 2 of 14
Reecey
Tutor

Thanks for the reply I followed the video installed the .15 version Driver’s and it connected properly first time, it certainly looks better I will have to see if it shuts down again. Why don’t NETGEAR do something now in another new update I was considering sending it back and refunding so will others if they don’t know what to do it’s seems like a well known problem solution on YouTube. Posting a download link of the direct .15 version drivers would be better than doing nothing at all.
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Have your speeds increased? I know you stated you'd post back about stability. Thats awesome to follow up on as well.

If this does fix your problem, mark the solution so it goes to the top so others can easily find the solution. 

Message 4 of 14
Reecey
Tutor

I was just testing all three direct drivers it does seem the .15 works the best but I’m still testing too see if it shuts down under heavy loading 5ghz I will report back soon as possible so we can give the solution.
Message 5 of 14
Reecey
Tutor

Connection has not seemed to off dropped since but I still want to find out if it drops connection under heavy loading 5ghz download speeds 30-50MiB/s which it was doing all the time.
Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear its working better. Thanks for the update!

Message 7 of 14
Reecey
Tutor

It certainly connects better to the network WiFi channel after the video guide but I have now tested over and over again the A7000 disconnects under high load 5ghz downloading if you hit speeds of anything over 25MiB/s the A7000 randomly shuts back down too 0, it does turn back on again ASAP but these disconnections under heavy 5ghz downloading happens too frequently and it can be very annoying.
Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you've only had it for a month, I'd open a support ticket as it's got a year warranty. Explain what all you've tried in the ticket.
Message 9 of 14
Reecey
Tutor

I’ve googled this issue and looking at reviews for the A7000 they say exactly the same as me, it shuts down under heavy 5ghz downloading, it needs fixing in a new update roll out, it’s not my A7000 that is at fault here, it’s the same problem with all A7000’s.
Message 10 of 14
ktiedt
Aspirant

I recently acquired 2 of these and am so far, only expericing these problems on our INTEL based system... I currently have an open support issue with Netgear to resolve it, but I suspect its going to be one of those "we're useless" support conversations... They already had me repeat half the information in my initial report 😕 

Have you had any beter luck since your last update?

Message 11 of 14
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ktiedt

Kindly PM me the support case number for us to review. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 12 of 14
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Reecey

Our support team is looking into this issue and would like to work with you. Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 13 of 14
ktiedt
Aspirant

My case # is: 41336202
I spent almost an hour on the phone last night repeating practically every aspect of my original case submission, multiple times.... after spending over 30 minutes on hold waiting to speak with this unhelpful person... While on one of the many times she put me on hold to investigate something that I had already cleared as not being the problem, I did discover my device appears to work correctly *WITHOUT* the magnetic USB extension/base/mount...  When I asked if she could send a replacement of the base, to confirm the problem was the base, she said, Netgear doesn't do that... they can only replace anything, *IF* and *ONLY IF* the USB device itself was bad, not the other half of the product... 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7