× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi adapter doesn't connect to 5ghz.

echoform
Aspirant

A7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi adapter doesn't connect to 5ghz.

Just purchased and isntalled the software and drivers to my desktop PC.  I also have the R7000 dual bank AC1900 router as well.

I can't connect to the 5 ghz band.  the A7000 only prefers the 2.4 ghz. In the Netgear wifi software, I see the 5 ghz as an option to connect, but when I try and connect, it defaults to the 2.4 ghz automatically.  My phone and tablets can see the 5 ghz connect without any issue.

Please advise on how I can connect to the 5 ghz band with the A7000.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
echoform
Aspirant

UPDATE:  switching the 5ghz channel around helped me to connect once.  but since then, it kept dropping again.  currently, the 5gz channel does not display as an option to connect to at all.

another issue is that chrome remote desktop doesn't work with the R7000.  fyi.

Message 2 of 4
Joenormous
Aspirant

Any luck? Having the same issue and it driving me mad.

Message 3 of 4
Neilsky
Initiate

If you are not succeeding with 5G on the A7000 and you're running Windows 10, it's because the drivers are buggy for this OS. I spent an hour online with Tech Support and they still didn't know what the problem was. They wanted me to send in the dongle for testing, even though it worked fine on Windows 7. I did more sleuthing after the call.

The A7000 adapter (like the A6100 before it) works perfectly on Windows 7 (mine is Ultimate x32): 2.4G and 5G all working exactly as expected.

HOWEVER, on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64:

When I installed the A6100 on Win10, it failed to see the 5G network at all. So I installed the latest drivers which only caused BSODs, so I completely uninstalled it and bought the latest (A7000) assuming it had been tested with the latest Windows. It didn't see the 5G network either. Installing the latest drivers did not fix it.

While it showed several neighbours' 5Gs, it did not show mine! To cut a long experimental story short, the neighbours' channels were all low (<64), while mine was high (default of 160 on Netgear D7000v2). So I changed the channel on the D7000 to 48 and presto, the A7000 can now see it on Windows 10.

But the connection speed is REALLY bad (54mbps compared to 450mbps on 2.4G) so I've left the connector on 2.4G for now.

Netgear: the A7000 and A6100 drivers need some serious work for Windows 10. A7000 first, please, and hurry before I return these products to the store and change to another brand.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7