× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A7000 Nighthawk consistent drops, ping spikes

mtmaloney
Follower

A7000 Nighthawk consistent drops, ping spikes

I just purchased the A7000 Nighthawk USB adapter last week. What I've discovered is every 30 seconds or so (very consistent intervals) my internet speed will go to 0. It's just for a second or two so it took a few days before I even noticed anything was wrong. But it's very noticeable during video calls, every 30 seconds the video/audio will cut out for a second. I can see in the Wi-Fi graph in the Performance tab of the task manager the throughput will be very consistent and then just drop to zero.

I've isolated the issue to the adapter. When I plug my computer in directly to the router (Which is an Orbi router, btw, most recent firmware), there are no problems. I plugged my old adapter in and it didn't give me any problems. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter (a few times), reset my network settings in Windows, but the problem persists. And the problem is very specific to this machine, nothing else in the house has this same issue.

Thus far my chats with Negear support have not been fruitful.

I haven't been able to find any good solutions online, seems like this person has/had the same issue but was never resolved: https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/Nighthawk-AC1900-Network-Adapter-Gives-Massive-Ping-S...

Oh, and for what it's worth my cable modem is a Netgear CM1000

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 2

Re: A7000 Nighthawk consistent drops, ping spikes

Check the settings for the device in Windows Device Manager.

Ensure that it isn't set to turn the thing off.

Wifi adapter propertiesWifi adapter properties

Also ensure that you have all the latest drivers for the motherboard and its chipsets, especially USB. Windows update won't find things like that.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7