× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A7000 USB Adaptor Constantly Disconects.

Apota4U
Tutor

A7000 USB Adaptor Constantly Disconects.

I have a A7000 USB 3.0 Wifi adapter that worked fine for a couple of weeks and now it constantly disconnects and to get it to reconnect I have to unplug it from the USB port on the back of my computer and replug it in. Sometimes it does it every 10 minutes and sometimes it does it every couple of hours.The problem isn't with the router because none of my other devices are doing it. I'm running Windows 10 on my PC. Thanks so much for your help and time.  ...Steve

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

What driver are you using the the A7000? look in your device manager and let us know. 

Have you tried doing a wireless scan of your area? this will tell you the optimal channel to have the router on.

Are you connecting via 2.4ghz or the 5ghz channel?

What router and firmare is it? 

Message 2 of 7
Apota4U
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the latest driver again from Netgear's website and reinstalled it, but that didn't fix the problem. When I first installed the adapter it worked fine for a couple of weeks, but a couple of days ago it started doing this. I don't get it. It's not a problem with the routers or anything like that because none of the other wifi devices connected to the routers are having problems disconnecting. I haven't done a wireless scan of my area, but like I said I have lots of other wireless devices connected to my routers with no disconnecting problems.

I'm running 2 Asus routers, a GT-AC5300 and a RT-AC3100. Most of the devices are connected to the 5300. The 5300 is the AiMesh Router and the 3100 is the AiMesh Node. Both routers are connected via a ethernet cable. There is currently 20 wifi devices connected to the 5300 and only 4 wifi devices connected to the 3100. All of the outside devices are connected to the 3100 because they are too far away from the 5300, but my computer is in the same room as the 5300, maybe only about 10 feet a part. So, signal strength shouldn't be a problem.

All the info about the network adapter is below:

Protocol: 802.11ac
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 48
Manufacturer: NETGEAR Inc.
Description: NETGEAR A7000 WiFi USB3.0 Adapter
Driver version: 1030.25.701.2017

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Have you tried moving the adapter to a different usb port?  maybe there's a bad usb port

The other thing I'd try is moving the adapter to a different computer to isolate it to the adapter or the computer. 

Message 4 of 7
Apota4U
Tutor

I read on another post that their is some kind of issue people where having with a USB driver on Windows 10 that was making their wifi adapter disconecting and then connecting again, but I can't find the post again and I'm not sure what the solution was.

Message 5 of 7
Apota4U
Tutor

I found the post here but I'm not sure if my issue is the same one.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/A7000-USB-Adaptor-disconects-and-reconects/m-p/156699...

Re: A7000 USB Adaptor disconects and reconects

I am having the same problem. This odd adapter is coupled with Netgear's R7000P (AC2300) router. To disable "RunSwUSB", double click the offending service and you will have the option to permanately disable the service. Simply select "Disabled" as the Startup type.

Model: A7000|NIGHTHAWK AC1900 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 7 of 9

Message 6 of 7
Streak2
Master

I just built a new PC and I am using the A7000.

Same as others have reported, every couple of hours the A7000 would just disconnect and then reconnect from the PC with the usual USB disconnect ding dong sound.

I have just disabled RunSwUSB and will see over the next few days if that fixes the issue.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7