× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A7000 USB Adaptor disconects and reconects

X0964364
Tutor

A7000 USB Adaptor disconects and reconects

I have two A7000 USB network adaptors that are experiencing the same issue. They will randomly disconnect FROM THE PC. Not the network or Wi-Fi signal. It is as if I disconnected the USB cable.
Driver: 1030.18.1201.2016
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
realdieu
Initiate

I am having the same problem. This odd adapter is coupled with Netgear's R7000P (AC2300) router. To disable "RunSwUSB", double click the offending service and you will have the option to permanately disable the service. Simply select "Disabled" as the Startup type.

View solution in original post

Model: A7000|NIGHTHAWK AC1900 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 7 of 9

All Replies

@X0964364 wrote:
They will randomly disconnect FROM THE PC.

Windows handles that. And your version is?

Message 2 of 9
X0964364
Tutor

Sorry, I should have included that info. 

Windows 10 Home version. 

This is true for both computers that are experiencing this issue. 

Message 3 of 9

Have you checked for updates to the USB drivers for your PCs?

These are often chipset things that Windows Update will not find. You may even have to find out who made the motherboards and then to visit them for the latest drivers. Sometimes you even have to track back to the maker of the USB chips.

Then there is the configuration of the USB ports in Windows. You won't want them set up in ways that allow the USB ports to go to sleep.

Message 4 of 9
X0964364
Tutor

I did check the USB drivers. In fact, I updated them to the latest. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. 

I do however think it has something to do with USB switching. 

There is a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELhMSdv3-Xs in which the young man claims you must disable a USB switch service. 

I, in fact, followed his direction and disabled the RunSwUSB. Once the service is stopped it works without fail.  Unfortunately, the problem returns when you reboot. I have not figured out how to stop the service from starting. 

Honestly, I'm not sure his suggestion is the correct answer but it did get me back online. 

What do you think about his idea of stopping the service? 

Do you know how to permanently stop it from running upon reboot?

Message 5 of 9

Puzzling. Does this happen on all USB ports?

It does sound like a Windows issue, so your best bet might be to throw your issue at "Bing". It isn't something where you will find much Netgear expertise.

Message 6 of 9
realdieu
Initiate

I am having the same problem. This odd adapter is coupled with Netgear's R7000P (AC2300) router. To disable "RunSwUSB", double click the offending service and you will have the option to permanately disable the service. Simply select "Disabled" as the Startup type.

Message 7 of 9
Utori
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem. I just received my adapter in the mail yesterday, and it's been functioning even worse than the relic I've been using up until now.My comp is running Windows 10. I have no idea what the router is, as that's out in the garage, and my wheelchair can't get in there. My adapter is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, and is very slow even while it's on, and using the 5ghz channel.
The Netgenie informed me that there was a software update, but could not successfully download the update. The download bar would get to 95%, and then drop back down to 70%, only to rise back up and drop again, repeating the same cycle endlessly. This happened every time I tried, even when I disconnected the Nighthawk and hooked the old adapter back in. 
I was able to obtain the update from this site while I was back on the old adapter (the site screen just freezes when I try to do it on the Nighthawk), and I installed the update, but now I no longer have a destop icon for it, and the disconnection problem and slow speed haven't changed.

Message 8 of 9
realdieu
Initiate

Did you try to aforementioned “fix?” Also, below:

https://youtu.be/ELhMSdv3-Xs

Also, did you try connecting to your 2.4GHz connection? It offers greater distance whereas 5GHz offers less distance but better performance. You should have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz shown as available WiFi connections. Also, did you try repositioning the adapter for better reception?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7