× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A7000 Wireless USB Adapter jumping from 1300Mbps to 54Mbps repeatedly

bwelshon
Aspirant

A7000 Wireless USB Adapter jumping from 1300Mbps to 54Mbps repeatedly

Hello, I wanted to  advise of  an issue I am seeing with  my  new A7000  adapter installed just yesterday. I have searched online for   any answers, and have seen that many others have had the same issue,  but no  resolution so far for me.  Unfortunately, it looks like I am going to have to return this adapter and look for another  product.

For an overview , I am currently  using a Netgear N600 WNDA3100v2 adapter and getting constant 300Mbps connection with no drops at all. I wanted to upgrade my adapter because I will be going from 75Mbps Internet to 1Gbps Internet at the end of this month.

Here is what  has happened .

1. installed A7000 1.0.0.15 drivers on my Windows 10 laptop connected with USB 3.0.
2. Connected to my Netgear R7000 (in same room) 5G and got 1300Mbps connection.
3. Looking at Netgear Genie, every 8 seconds it drops to 54Mpbs and then comes back to 1300Mbps.
4. I disabled RunSwUSB service and restarted. Same issue.
5. Did a ping -t www.netgear.com test and every 8th ping time goes from around 7-9ms to ~2900ms.
6. I have looked at the properties of the adapter in Control Panel and unchecked "Allow computer to turn off device".
7. I have uninstalled the software and tried previous versions, 1.0.0.11 and 1.0.0.10, doing same steps.
8. I have tried the netsh steps to disable Auto configuration, to no avail.
9. I have installe the 1.0.0.15 Standalone driver without installing Netgear Genie. Same issue persists.
10. I also have a Netgear R8000P router I received a couple days ago and have connected there also. I get the same drop to 54Mps every 8 seconds.
11. I contacted Netgear support by chat and I did not get any other possible things to try.
12. Both my Netgear routers are connected in AP mode to my main router where my FIOS signal comes in, a Verizon Actiontec router.
13. I have installed this A7000 to replace my previous N600 WNDA3100v2 adapter. That adapter connects fine to my R7000, gets a 300Mbps connection and never drops below that.

If you have any other ideas, thank you  very much. If not, back to Amazon this adapter goes.  Interested in other adapters to try too. 

Thanks

Bob

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4
bwelshon
Aspirant

Update on Dec 3

I did the netsh wlan  set  autoconfig enabled=no again on my WiFi network name  tonight. This time I see that the ping issues I was getting earlier have been resolved. I must have mistyped something when I did this earlier.

It's a pain that you have to do this at all, but very happy it's fixed and I will be keeping this adapter now.

Message 2 of 4
bwelshon
Aspirant

Another update: 

What I also experienced is that when I shut my computer down and turned it on the next morning I was no longer connected to any Wifi networks. And, no Wifi networks were visible to connect to because of the netsh autoconfig enabled=no command that I had entered the night before. 

Therefore, I had to issue this command again with enabled=yes to show wireless networks, connect to the one I wanted, and then set enabled=no again to solve the ping issue.

A pain, but it works. I will setup some batch files to do this or configure it in Local Security Policy.

Message 3 of 4
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bwelshon

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7