× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A7000 replacing D-Link DRS-250, need VPN link to Netgear FVS336G

macounwr
Tutor

A7000 replacing D-Link DRS-250, need VPN link to Netgear FVS336G

A D-Link DRS-250 router I had at home, connecting via IPsec VPN to Netgear FVS336G at office, failed suddenly and totally last week. A quick trip to BestBuy, after a chat confirmed (wrongly) that the AC1900 could do IPsec VPN, had me back in business, except for VPN.

So my question is, knowing IPsec is out of the question, is it possible to create an SSL VPN link between my shiny new AC1900 and my aging FVS336G? Or have I traded one boat anchor (brand D-Link) for another boat anchor (brand Netgear)? I know OpenVPN is a wrapper for SSL, question is, can it talk to the SSL of the FVS336G?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

What is it that you bought?

You have posted in the section for USB wifi devices, but you talk about routers.

AC1900 is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds. 

I know OpenVPN is a wrapper for SSL, question is, can it talk to the SSL of the FVS336G?

Really? You lost me there.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

What is it that you bought?

You have posted in the section for USB wifi devices, but you talk about routers.

AC1900 is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds. 

I know OpenVPN is a wrapper for SSL, question is, can it talk to the SSL of the FVS336G?

Really? You lost me there.

Message 2 of 6
macounwr
Tutor

Excuuu.u.s.e. me.e.

What a useful, helpful response. 

Here's a copy of an internet ad for the product in question:

Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk Dual-Band Cable Modem Router

You are right, A1900 was incorrect. I certainly can't expect the expert community to be able to figure out what I was referring to.

Happily, I no longer need help. I was able to determine on my own that the Netgear product can't do IPSec VPN,

I was also able to reset my D-Link DSR250 and get it back in service, so I will now return the AC1900

ffor refund, and stay with a product that can do the job.

Your response reassures me that I was right to look elsewhere, and not repeat the mistake of yet another Netgear product claimed to do something it actually can't do.

Keep up the good work.

Ciao

Message 3 of 6

@macounwr wrote:

Your response reassures me that I was right to look elsewhere, and not repeat the mistake of yet another Netgear product claimed to do something it actually can't do.

That's good. No more questions from someone who doesn't know how to describe something they have bought, or what they want it to do, let alone finding the right place to ask for help.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying. You may need it.

Message 4 of 6
macounwr
Tutor

LOL. 

A competent technician understands that 90% of success is understanding what the client needs, even if not perfectly described. Your self-satisfaction is quite revealing.

Fortunately, I am sufficiently knowledgeable to solve most problems without help, And when I hit a snag, I can find my way to competent support. Part of doing so is keeping an ongoing appreciation of products with good support. That is all the luck I need.

This experience has been valuable. Vendor/support list updated.

What's the saying, Fool me once, shame on you; fool me more than once, shame on me. I am not often fooled twice.

Bye-bye.

Message 5 of 6

@macounwr wrote:

LOL. 

A competent technician understands that 90% of success is understanding what the client needs, even if not perfectly described. Your self-satisfaction is quite revealing.

Er, you seem to have overlooked the status of this place. This community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of overworked Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They make no claims to be "competent technicians". Just folks with a lot of collective experience who are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

They do, though, need people to explain what they are doing in clear terms, especially when it comes to explaining just what kit they are playing with. Routers and USB adapters are very different beasts.

I simply asked for more details in my response to your first message. You interpreted this as an attack on your honour. Strange.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Sadly, they also need to know what the questions are about.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7