× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A7000 won’t install on Mac OS Big Sur

Nilsftaylor
Follower

A7000 won’t install on Mac OS Big Sur

I recently purchased the Nighthawk A7000 and I can’t get it to install on MacOS Big Sur v11.1. This is extremely frustrating for such an expensive and premium product.
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 11

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Adapters - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 11
njdigithead
Initiate

I just encountered the same problem and after working this through with a very helpful support person on the phone, she confirmed that the systems were incompatible.  She was to report this up the line.  This on December 3, 2020.  If Santa hears about this, it's not good for Netgear, this year.  I've asked to be advised when there's a new Netgear driver for Big Sur. Hope it's soon, but she couldn't find that out. 

It would be nice if Netgear kept up with Apple.  I was very surprised, frustrated by the exercise, and disappointed.  Try harder, please.

Message 3 of 11
Tinslep
Star

I had the same issue. Worked fine on Catalina and wouldn't work on Big Sur at all. I spent several hours on the phone with Negear support and even had them call me back several times. Something changed in Big Sur that disabled USB wi-fi adapters and untill Apple or Netgear re-write the software the A7000 will not work. I ended up returning mine to Amazon. Apparenty this is happening with all brands of USB wi-fi adapters so I am using a wireless eithernet adapter instead.

Message 4 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

Its has been a while since Apple started phasing out 32bit apps. MacOS Mojave was the last to support 32bit apps.

Engineering advised that they are working on the update for A6150 and A7000. ETA for compatibility with macOS 11 (Big Sur) is Q3 2021.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 5 of 11
Gwelliott
Initiate

I wish I would have read these posts before I spent an hour on the phone (mostly on hold) with three different support staff members.  I specifically told the third support member that I was on Mac OS Big Sur 11.1.  His response to me was that he wasn't familiar with Macs.  Perhaps NETGEAR should have their support team read through these posts so they don't waste customers' time.  I am returning the adapter since I can't use it.  Does anyone have a suggestion on another similar product I can buy (preferably not NETGEAR)? Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!

Message 6 of 11
Tinslep
Star

After many hours on the phone with Netgear support I also was told 3 quarter 2021 for a fix maybe, or roll back to Catalina.

I ended up using a eithernet wi-fi bridge (TP Link TL-902AC) in client mode but I don't get the same speed as the A7000. If you are running a Orbi system a RBS750 works but it is a pricy way to go.

I don't believe any USB wi-fi adapter will work with Big Sur. There is a workaround but I didn't want to go to all this trouble so I returned  mine.

This is the workaround: https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Big-Sur-Adapter

Message 7 of 11
lazytree
Tutor

Q3? Yikes. I guess the good news out of this thread is that I don't need to waste my time trying other brands of adapters.

Message 8 of 11
scottmacs
Tutor

My Mac runs Big Sur 11.2.3. I too got the error message that the installation had failed; however, after approving the istallation in Settings->Security & Privacy, I found that the software was running. 

Upon restarting I had to find where the applicatiion was installed and start running it again, but once i did my A7000 worked.

I found the application in this location: /Library/Application Support/WLAN/StatusBarApp.app

I created an alias and dragged it to my desktop so i can start the application when I need to use my A7000.

Message 9 of 11
Tinslep
Star

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I returned my A7000 after being told the solution was months away. Possibly Apple or Netgear updated software to solve the issue?

Anyway glad to hear yours is working!
Message 10 of 11
dashton654
Initiate

Seeing as we are into Q3 now, is there any updates from Netgear on the status of this update, and will M1 macs be included as well as Intel Macs? 

Being one of the few USB adapters available for macOS, I as well as other Big Sur users wouldn't hesitate to purchase this adapter IF it will work on our systems. 

You have paying customers willing to buy your product as long as you provide the software to support it! 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7