× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1200 getting half the internet speed

xps15z
Aspirant

AC1200 getting half the internet speed

I have XFINITY, and my laptops that have built-in wifi are all getting 80-90MBPS. However my desktop which I am using the AC1200 USB Adapter is only getting half that speed in the 40-50 range. My upload on all other devices are a 12mbps, and my desktop that uses AC1200 is only 0.96MBPS.

This is not a router or modem issue, as all other devices in the home are getting the correct speeds. The only device not getting the required speeds are the desktop which is the only computer that is using the AC1200 Adapter. 

If your curious I have the RT-AC66U which is no slouch. I am also using the 5GHZ channel, which is the only device connected to that channel. Everything else runs on the 2GHZ in the house. 

I have the latest software  1.0.0.35

Model: A6200|AC1200 WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Re: AC1200 getting half the internet speed

Hi xps15z,

1. What is the OS of your desktop computer?

2. Connect the adapter on a different computer and check the speed. Lets just isolate if still the same speed using the adapter on a different computer.

Message 2 of 7
xps15z
Aspirant

I am on Windows 7.

Very strange. I plugged the netgear into my laptop, and then unplugged and plugged back into the PC. I am now getting accurate download speeds at 91MBPS. Before I was getting half of that. My upload also increase but only to 4MBPS. The upload should be at 12MBPS like it does with all my other devices on their wi-fi.

Message 3 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi xps15z,

Observe the connection and report back.

Message 4 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi xps15z,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 5 of 7
xps15z
Aspirant

Download speed has stayed good, but the upload speed is still hovering at 4MBPS only on this computer with your USB. All other devices are at a 12MBPS.

Message 6 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi xps15z,

Try installing it on a different computer and see if the same speed.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7