× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 / R7000 Blocking Inbound Traffic to all Ports...How do I fix?

Avg_User_Name
Aspirant

AC1750 / R7000 Blocking Inbound Traffic to all Ports...How do I fix?

I have an app callee InetTools, and it reported that all my ports are either closed or blocked. i.e. not open. 

The port I need open, (for another app,) is 7767; but even that port isn't able to connect with "the server" So, the other app, (iGoDispatch)   just times out. 

I did have scheduled blocking in place, from 2356 to 2347, in each of the separate boxes, but I unchecked all the days of the week, and that *did not* make a difference. 

I wish I had a pleora of information to give you, but that's why I'm here; cuz I'm at a loss. 

Feel free to ask me any questions so we can solve this together.

Average User Name.

Message 1 of 9

Re: AC1750 / R7000 Blocking Inbound Traffic to all Ports...How do I fix?

@Avg_User_Name wrote:

Feel free to ask me any questions so we can solve this together.

Are you asking for help with the R7000 mentioned in your subject? If so, you won't get much help in a section given over to WiFi Adapters.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk WiFi Routers

If you do follow this up, as in all baffling problems, it helps to answer two basic questions.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

what actual router do you have? You put R7000 but ac1750. while the AC1750 is a speed, the r7000 is a ac1900. So I'm not sure which you put inaccurate. 

what firmware is on it? 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 
Is it working fine other than the ports not opening as you'd like?

Message 3 of 9
Avg_User_Name
Aspirant

Hopefully, the mods will delete this thread/discussion...

Follow me over to the hardware section in the new thread...(to get more responses.)

A. U. N.

Message 4 of 9
Avg_User_Name
Aspirant

Firmware Version
V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

The exact model number of the modem, I can't say. I looked for a model no. but all it said was Spectrum. 

Everyone else can conect to the modem, without issue.

A_U_N

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

You might try updating to the newer 1.0.11.130 version of firmware

Message 6 of 9

@Avg_User_Name wrote:

Firmware Version
V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

The exact model number of the modem, I can't say. I looked for a model no. but all it said was Spectrum. 

Does the modem in front of the router have a set of Ethernet ports in the back? Does it provide wifi? Both of these are signs that it is also a router.

@Avg_User_Name wrote:

Everyone else can conect to the modem, without issue.

Do you mean "can connect to the router"?  If people can connect to the mode, that suggests that it is a router.

Message 7 of 9
Avg_User_Name
Aspirant

My apologies, it is  a router...I can confirm, it does have ports 4 infact, and an ethernet cable.

I'll update the firmware, and see if that makes a difference...

Message 8 of 9

@Avg_User_Name wrote:

My apologies, it is  a router...I can confirm, it does have ports 4 infact, and an ethernet cable.

In other words the "modem" in front of the R7000 is some unnamed modem/router.

Anything you do to control traffic through your R7000 is going to run into a conflict with the modem/router. That could explain the "Blocking Inbound Traffic" that you observe.

I'll update the firmware, and see if that makes a difference...

That will not eliminate conflicts.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7