× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Absolute nightmare, please help

sadandfrustrate
Initiate

Absolute nightmare, please help

Bought the N300 Wifi USB Mini Adapter and have had nothing but issues with it. I can not get it to connect solid to the internet for more than 30 secs at most.  It has connected to the modem but it does nothing online.  I have tried everything from using different USB ports.  Installing and uninstalling the driver.  Using the Drivers setup wizard.  Installing in manually. Restarting the PC.  Nothing wants to make it work properly.

It will talk tot he modem as I said, then it will connect for 5 seconds at the very most.  Then it will say connected with no internet, before going back to connected and secured, however even when it is connected and secured it will not do anything online.  I just get `No internet`errors on microsoft edge and chrome. 

Wifi signal strength is showing as full strength and strong.  I have tried following the trouble shooting guide here on the Netgear site and made sure I was using the most up to date drivers.

Someone please help me before this gives me a stroke.  Also I am running on windows 10

Model: WNA3100M|N300 Wireless Mini USB Adapter
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
sadandfrustrate
Initiate

Turns out these units ONLY work in USB 2slots.  Just a warning for others who seem to find no other solution to their connection issues.  I could not find this out anywhere officially, but there you go.  I previously tried other USB ports but out of all of them on my PC I only have two USB 2 ports and it works fine on those two! 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
sadandfrustrate
Initiate

Turns out these units ONLY work in USB 2slots.  Just a warning for others who seem to find no other solution to their connection issues.  I could not find this out anywhere officially, but there you go.  I previously tried other USB ports but out of all of them on my PC I only have two USB 2 ports and it works fine on those two! 🙂

Message 2 of 3

Must be device specific. My A6100 adaptor works in a USB3 port, even though the Data Sheet says USB 2.0. The data sheet for the WNA3100M also says "Available USB 1.1 or USB  2.0  slot".

Maybe there are chipset driver updates for your motherboard that fix the USB3 issue. Windows update will not find those. You need to hunt down the motherboard maker's site, or whoever made the PC and see if there are updates.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7