× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adapter isn't detected

AnthonyMa
Guide

Adapter isn't detected

When prompted to plug in the adapter for it to scan I did. But when it scanned for the adapter, it would never find it. I tried with the newest version and with the version that is downloaded through the disk and it wouldn't detect anything. If anyone has a solution please let me know.
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyMa
Guide

Turns out, the software is just broken. I just connected the internet and tested it. It seems to be working fine. Don't bother with the software if you are having the same problem

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 22

All Replies
Trikein
Luminary

What model adapter? Also, what Operating System are you running?

Message 2 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

It is the Netgear A6210 and I have windows 10
Message 3 of 22
Trikein
Luminary

Have you tried downloading and running the latest software? Looks like only 1.0.0.32+ supports Windows 10. See here.

Also, what are you plugging it into? A laptop? Desktop? Have you tried different USB ports? Finally, when you plug it in, does the PC reconize the USB insert at all, like with a sound or icon?

Message 4 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

Yes I have used windows 10 compatible versions and I have tried using different ports on my desktop
Message 5 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

And I heard the sound when plugging it in
Message 6 of 22
Trikein
Luminary

Does anything come up under Network Connections (Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL) when you plug it in? Trying to see if the computer sees it even if the software can't. If not, when you plug it in, does anything new show up in device manager? (Windows Key + R > devmgmt.msc). Even if it shows up as a unknown device or the wrong device, does it show as something under Network Adapters?

Also, is it possible to try it on a different computer just to make sure it isn't a bad adapter?

Message 7 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

It the computer sees it because it gives me the option to connect to the internet in the network settings
Message 8 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

Also the software is on a solid state drive should I try to install it on a normal hard drive
Message 9 of 22
Trikein
Luminary

Odd. I am sorry, but I am running out of ideas. It is odd that the PC can see the adapter but the software can't. Do you have any Antivirus you can try disabling? Do you notice any popups or warnings from anything on your computer when running the software?

Also, would you happen to had use a simular adapter on this PC before? Wondering if maybe a old driver is auto-installing which is breaking it.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Message 10 of 22
Trikein
Luminary

You can try, but as long as your installing it on the same HD as the OS, you should be fine. Even if you weren't, I don't understand how it would cause this problem. A problem with installing the driver for the adapter maybe, but the software should atleast see the adapter. I guess it can't hurt to try though. Can you try on a different computer too?

Message 11 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

I did have another netgear adapter and I upgraded. I did notice something from AVG ambit not sure if it was a security warning. So maybe the other adapter software is breaking it
Message 12 of 22
Trikein
Luminary

Possible. Try uninstalling all Netgear related software on the computer, reboot(with the adapter unplugged), then reinstall the software from the website (Not CD). Also, try disabling AVG, incase it's blocking access to the software. See here on how.

Message 13 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

OK I'll try that but it will take a moment
Message 14 of 22
Trikein
Luminary

I bet it is AVG and has something to do with this.

Message 15 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

I have installed all the netgear adapter software I have and I tried doing it again with the 1.0.0.35 version only and it still didn't detect the only thing I can think of is possible AVG or turning off driver signature enforcement
Message 16 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

Nothing is working this is ridiculous. AVG isn't blocking it as far as I'm concerned and even without driver signature enforcement enabled, it still refuses to detect it.
Message 17 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

I've tried everything and nothing works. What would happen if I just use the adapter without setting it up the the netgear setup?
Message 18 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

Turns out, the software is just broken. I just connected the internet and tested it. It seems to be working fine. Don't bother with the software if you are having the same problem
Message 19 of 22
Trikein
Luminary

Good to know. I wonder why the old software worked when the new software wouldn't. Also, what does the software do? I have never used a Netgear USB adapter. Does the software just install the USB driver or does it help with configuration? If so, and if it installs a seperate wireless client, then I wonder if that client is conflicting with Windowws Wireless Zero (default wireless client) or what ever it is called with Windows 10. Either way, you are better off using the standard windows wireless client instead of a 3rd party (Netgear), so maybe it's a blessing in disguise. 

Message 20 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

You actually have to follow the step that the software gives you but if you are having the same error, you will then be told that it wasn't detected but then you can go and connect to the internet though your network settings.
Message 21 of 22
AnthonyMa
Guide

But yes all the better client does is help you setup the adapter and connect to the internet.
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7