× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect extender to 5GHz band on EX6120

jbaugh
Aspirant

Can't connect extender to 5GHz band on EX6120

I'm trying to set up a range extender.  I've tried now at least 8 times to do this.  I can get the extender set up to work with the 2.4GHz band but not with the 5GHz band.  The 5GHz band always gets a self assigned ip adddress and states "unable to connect to internet". I have another model of the extender that connects with no problems.  I suspect a defective device.

John

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't connect extender to 5GHz band on EX6120

To clarify - is the problem you have connecting the extender to the router network?  Or is it connecting a client to the extender network.

If it's about connecting the extender to the router:

• does your working extender make a 5G connection if you move it to the EX6120's location?
  • Is the router LED lit?  If so, what color?

If it's about connecting a client to the extender:

• Are you using FastLane?
Message 2 of 3
jbaugh
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect extender to 5GHz band on EX6120

Problem is making a connection from extender to router on the 5GHz band. No problems configuring on 2.4GHz. When I try to join the extended 5GHz network from a device I get a message saying “not connected to internet. If I view the connection parameters I find that there is a self assigned ip address and no entry in the router ip line. After many attempts I finally connected via the 2.4 GHz band and configured the extender with FastLane. Everything seems to work so I think I will let well enough alone. Thank uou for taking the time and effort to help me.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7