× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Computer shuts off router

ewfloyd
Aspirant

Computer shuts off router

I have a HP Compaq 8000 elite Small Form Factor PC(Energy Star) and I am connected wireless via a Netgear Model WNDA4100 to a COMTREND wireless ADSL2+Router Model AR-5312u.

We have a total of 5 computers in our household connected to the same Wi-Fi.  4 of the 5 will consistently operate at 4 mbps while connected to the same router.  This HP will connect just fine and while on the same internet site will continue to work, but after a few internet site changes, the signal will drop.  Disconnect then reconnecting the Wi-Fi signal will reset the process.  The following speed test (via Network Speed Test APP) is typical for this computer:

Download           Uplaoad

1st Try    4.05 Mbps           1.09 Mbps

2nd Try   4.17 Mbps           0.92 Mbps

3rd Try   4.02 Mbps           1.09 Mbps

4th Try   1.56 Mbps           1.22 Mbps

5th Try   Service unavailable

When the “Service unavailable” comes up, all the other computers experience the same loss of signal.

Since I have all my files backed up, I reinstalled Windows 7 and installed all the upgrades.  Still had the issue.  I then installed Windows 10, issue still existed.  I attempted to upgrade the drivers for the Network Adapters and used the hp Support Assistant to update the hp.

I suspect either a setting or hardware problems, but I am at a loss on where to go from here.

Message 1 of 2
ewfloyd
Aspirant

Re: Computer shuts off router

Duh!! I sat here overlooking the obvious.  I had completely removed everything from the machine.  Therefore, One Drive was attempting to download a huge amount of data.  It appears that this was enough to overload the DSL I am on.  I live a way out in the sticks at the end of DSL service.  I removed One Drive on this machine and that seemed to fix the problem.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7