× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Constant Disconnects with Production Drivers

techygeek82
Novice

Constant Disconnects with Production Drivers

Is anyone else having problems with the final version of the A6200 Windows 8 drivers? I have tried both Genie and 'Standalone' versions of the install but each give me constant disconnects. The 'Beta' drivers seem to be the most stable.

The thing that confuses me...the driver version for Beta and Production drivers seem to be the exact same. Is that what others are seeing?

I even went as far as 'refreshing' my Windows 8 install which basically starts the system off from scratch without removing my personal files.

This is getting very frustrating. I'm connected to the A band of my Netgear R6200 with the Mode set at 'Up to 876Mbps.

Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You are the Beta tester. I've been involved in several test and yet to have a matched client card to actually test with router.
Message 2 of 12
WirelessWacko
Aspirant

Mine discconnects everytime I try to access a network computers documents, web browsing/updates seem fine
Message 3 of 12
Sawdring
Aspirant

I have r6200 and it disconnects and reconnects. I'm running windows Vista home premium. This is very frustrating as well.
Message 4 of 12
stargate42
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with the latest non-beta production driver.
I installed version 1.0.0.26 yesterday and randomly I lose all connectivity. Not just the connection to my router drops, but all the text at the bottom of Netgear Genie is red so I see no other neighborhood routers either. I unplug the USB stick (which still has a blue connection light by the way) and plug it back in and all is well again for another couple of hours. It hasn't disconnected yet whilst I was actively on the web. But I do keep a citrix session going to work, so there is always some traffic going on even if I'm not on my desktop, and my machine is not going to sleep.
It is the new beamforming driver. I wonder if there is a problem with a timeout waiting for a beam and eventually it hangs when one is never detected. That is the only change in my environment. I don't see a point in telling my OS(not windows 😎 or my router (non-beamforming). They didn't change and I didn't have this problem before. Only did the firmware update and also rebooted my PC and rebooted the router.
Message 5 of 12
stargate42
Aspirant

I can confirm it has now happened to me whilst I was actively using the computer. And also unplugging/plugging the USB adapter back in doesn't always work (not on the corded adapter either, directly into desktop usb port). Sometimes I have to go kill the Netgear Genie too. Reverting back to the previous, non-beamforming, driver will probably be my next step. Argh!
Message 6 of 12
techygeek82
Novice

Netgear Support was USELESS in my chats with them. I'm afraid this is something that's going to continue until the drivers are stabilized for Windows 8. I've disabled all power save options on all of my USB Root Hubs, disabled Beamforming, I've set it to ignore the 2.4Ghz band and only look for 5Ghz band.

I'm (im)patiently waiting for firmware update to the R6200 to see if that will help. Any more it just seems like it loses its connection to the remote gateway as if the router may POSSIBLY be causing the problem? (Frankly, I'm just making this up because I've reached the end of my troubleshooting rope on the machine itself).
Message 7 of 12
stargate42
Aspirant

As I've previously mentioned, I'm not running Windows 7 or 8. Disconnects were random, but frequent (at least every four hours I would be disconnected). Kinda sucks because I was doing some important things on a couple of occasions when my connection dropped. Anyhow, I decided to go back to 1.0.0.18 and it has been rock solid since. I may try 1.0.0.23, but I'm also thinking why mess with something that works.
Message 8 of 12
stargate42
Aspirant

Not a single disconnect in 4 days back on the old driver.
Message 9 of 12
techygeek82
Novice

I've reverted back to the Beta drive myself. No issues in 2 days now. Netgear needs to get on the ball.
Message 10 of 12
Slicedz
Aspirant

I had the same problem for a while and I haven't experienced any disconnects since plugging the adapter into a USB 2.0 port without the extender that comes with the adapter. I would recommend trying what I did if you want to have the latest driver and want it to still work.
Message 11 of 12
TheMagician
Aspirant

@Slicedz: your advice (using the dongle WITHOUT the extender cable) did the trick for me .... this is incredible ... how can Netgear not officially tell customers about this?
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7