× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dad Won't Conform

GrayBeardInFL
Aspirant

Dad Won't Conform

I think this is a hardware recommendation question.

My father is moving to a retirement community (a big building).  WiFi is furnished.  He wants a mini-network in his unit.  His mini-network currently is two desktops, a laptop, a couple of printers, and a NAS, all connected by a pretty good router.   He wants to move the mini network and he thinks he can connect it to the WiFi using a WiFi adapter.   To his mind the WiFi adapter replaces a modem, just not as fast a connection.  

Will this work?  If so, what adapter should he be using?

Message 1 of 4
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Re: Dad Won't Conform

The desktops and Laptops can use USB adapters.  The printer and NAS will need an ethernet bridge, eg WNCE2001.  This bridge was discontinued some time ago and the ebay prices are high.  You can get an ethernet bridge from other manufacturers (eg Vonets) much cheaper.

This assumes he keeps his present wireless router.  If he wants to use the institution's wifi without his router, he will be able to access the internet with his computers but won't be able to connect to his printer or NAS (he'll need to keep his own mini-network to do this).

Message 2 of 4
GrayBeardInFL
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the input. 

Pop plans to die owing eveyone he knows $50 or so.  He doesnt mind spending.  He says the Netgear AC1200 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX6200) will do the job.  That's what he is on line buying so I guess we'll know soon if he is right or not.

Thanks again for the input.

Message 3 of 4
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Good for him!  😉  

It's not entirely clear what the system looks like but if it doesn''\'t work, post back and we'll see what we can do.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7